Viva Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
August 3rd 2006
Published: August 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

When we organised this journey a long time ago - Vegas for me was just going to be a stop-off for going to the Grand Canyon. But it turned out to be the place to understand what America is about.

On the shuttle from the airport I looked out the window to see the biggest hotel I have ever seen. Ten seconds later we passed an even bigger one. And then a bigger one still! I can't believe that all the hotels fill up!! The hotel we stayed in wasn't one of the biggest b ut still we stayed on the 29th floor! The lift went so fast when coming down that my ears popped every time! Anyway Vegas is the place to see everything American. And by that I mean over-the-top, bright, loud and in-your-face! In our two days here we strolled the strip, checking out all the big casinos, the best had to be the Mirage - not content with having a small pocket of rainforest and an aquarium the size of a double room, the hotel also thinks its reasonable to keep tigers and dolphins!! Mental!! The MGM Grand keeps 3 lions! Insane!! What to know what else is insane?? The highest paid person in Las Vegas earning a whopping $100 million pounds a year is......... Celine Dion. Celine Dion?? Has no-one actually heard her voice?? The Bellagio - every night has a water fountain show where the fountains are timed to 'My Heart Will Go On'!! Terrible! It's things like this in the world that make me feel sick!!

Anyway, no more Celine Dion bashing - we didn't waste any money in the casinos - firstly coz we have none left and secondly coz I know it's a waste of money!! What we did do was go on a day trip to the Grand Canyon - which was absolutely amazing. At first is doesn't seem real, the views are just amazing! We walked a couple of miles along the south rim taking in some very impressive views across and down the canyon. We also stopped of at the Hoover Dam and that was pretty impressive too!

And that's it for now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb