Days 15 & 16: Mooooore Vegas!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
September 15th 2011
Published: September 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So, we didn't update the blog yesterday, as we didn't really feel the need to go through everything that we did as it was pretty much the same as the day before, and we also did fairly similar stuff today too! So this blog will be kind of a combination of the last couple of days, but again, there won't be any photos just yet, we should be able to upload them once we're back in Hollywood on Sunday night.

Yesterday, we had a huuuuge lie in after going to bed pretty late the night before, and we didn't wake up until around 11:30! By the time we had got ready to go out, it was dinner time, so we skipped breakfast again and caught the Deuce bus down to the Fashion Show shopping centre (where we needed to draw out some cash anyway). We had some dinner at KFC then walked around the shops for a bit, and drew out some cash from an ATM for the next few days (we looked later on at the fees of the ATMs in the casinos and some of them charged $19!!).

We then spent the rest of the day walking around the hotels/casinos and catching the bus up and down the strip to get to them. The weather was apparently much cooler than it usually is at this time of year, but that was definitely a good thing, it was still warm, like mid 20's or so, but usually it's more like 35-40 degrees! We had decided that we would go and see the 'Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas' sign, which is located right at the south end of the strip. It started raining a tiny bit in the afternoon and we almost didn't go (we literally waited at the bus stop for about 10 minutes before changing our mind!), but the rain soon cleared up so we caught the bus as far as we could take it then walked the half a mile or so down to the sign to get some pictures.

We spent the rest of the day walking around the hotels/casinos, occasionally having a go on the machines/tables. We don't really spend a lot actually playing them because of our budget, but it passes a couple of hours if we make a few dollars last us. It's also pretty fun just watching other people on the blackjack and roulette tables, it's crazy how much money some people put down in a single bet! We watched a few guys win some serious amounts of money, lucky them!

As usual, after a walking up and down the strip and visiting the casinos all afternoon, it was time for tea. McDonald's was the closest to us, so we went in and leeched their wifi as usual. Emma had a McDouble and Craig had a McDouble & a spicy McChicken sandwich. We made full use of their free refills on all drinks offer, and spent about half an hour checking our e-mails, Facebook etc.

As we'd already done much of what there is to do in a day, we called it a night and went back to the room pretty early (about 9ish) to watch T.V. We watched a couple of American comedy shows such as Conan, The Office US and Family Guy before Emma fell asleep at around 12, whilst Craig stayed up to watch the film 'The Mexican' and went to sleep at about 2am.

Today, we woke up a bit earlier at about 9:30. We got showered and dressed and caught the bus down to 7-eleven so that Emma could get a croissant. Craig had a look around there but couldn't find anything that he fancied, so instead we went to the food court nearby and he had more of a brunch from Del Taco, having a combo of a burrito, a taco, some fries and a drink.

Once we had finished eating, we went walking around the casinos again, pretty much doing the same as yesterday; walking around, occasionally stopping to watch people play some of the table games and having the odd go on some of the slot machines. We saw some of the lions at the MGM again, who were on the glass roof that you can walk under, and were licking the glass as they were eating some sort of chew things. We got some pictures and then went to the McDonalds nearby to use their wifi.

Unfortunately, the wifi in that particular McDonalds was absolute rubbish (it literally would not load a web page), so we got the bus up to the McDonalds near out hotel. We checked our facebooks and burst out laughing when we saw what Tash had posted on our walls. She had been asking us over the last few days when we would be going to the Vegas sign, and we told her in a message yesterday morning that we would be going at some point that afternoon. Little did we know that she had found a webcam (called Earthcam I believe) that has a constant watch on the sign, and Tash had been watching it all afternoon (almost all night in the UK) and had managed to get some screenshots of us when we were at the sign! She must have spent hours watching that screen, we were amazed that she had spotted us, we weren't even there for long (and we almost didn't go at all!)! Thanks Tash for being the best stalker friend ever ha ha!

Once we were over our disbelief, we checked our emails and stuff then went back to our room for a bit of a rest. It was much hotter today (more like average temperatures for this time of year) and we noticed the difference compared to the last few days - everything on the strip seems a lot further apart when it's over 30 degrees, and apparently it's going to go up to just under 40 degrees at the weekend.

We stayed in the room for an hour or so watching TV, then went out again at about 5:30 to get something to eat. We went back to McDonalds and we had a couple of McDoubles, before again walking around some of the casinos for a while. We went to watch the Bellagio fountains at 8pm, then the show at Treasure Island at 8:30. We walked back through a couple of casinos (after fighting our way through the crowd at Treasure Island!) and made it back to our room at around 9:30. We watched TV for a little while but went to sleep at around 11pm, as we wanted to have a fairly early night, knowing that we would need to be up early to check out tomorrow to move to the Stratosphere hotel!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb