Paradise found


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
April 20th 2006
Published: April 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi agai, just like busses, none for ages and then two come along, one after the other.

Anyway, we left New Zealand at about 1000 on Monday morning and arrived in Rarotonga at about 1330 the previous day. Doesn't make sense really does it but thats the way it is out that way. Can't tell you much about Rarotonga because there isn't that much of it but one thing I can say is that it's the most idyllic place you could ever wish to go to. (That I've ever seen anyway).

The Island is about 32 Kms in circumference and a road goes all the way around it. Its served by two bus services, "Clockwise" and "Anti-clockwise". Virtually all the way round the Island is a coral reef which forms a beautiful lagoon which you have to see to believe. within this lagoon are some of the most gorgeous fish I've ever seen and I bought some snorkelling gear, which I really got my moneysworth out of. (Janet wouldn't have any but kept borrowing mine to have a look in the not too deep waters closer to the shore and there was plenty to see at all depths. We went to places to snorkel and sunbathe called, The FRuits of Rarotonga, (my favourite), Muri beach, black rock and Half way, (funnily enough at the islands half way point. All were great and we saw big blue starfish, about 16 inces across there arns, beautiful reef fish too numerous to mention but some I can think of were: Moorish idols, parott fish, porcupine fish yellow boxfish, and dozens more. I left Rarotonga like a prune, I'd been in the water that much but it was well worth it. We did a couple of more things there also, like hiring bikes. We hired a pair of push bikes for three days but after riding to the town and back, (about 25kms altogether), in blistering heat, common sense took over and we upgraded to a little roadster called a Copen. Lovely little car this, just about the size of a roller skate but it got us around for a couple of days. Then we decided that we couldn't afford the car hire any more so we got a scooter for the rest of the time there. We stayed on Rarotonga for about 16 days altogether. At first, I thought, "what are we going to do here for all that time" but it ended up being yet another highlight of what's been a tremendous experience. We went to church also while we were there, everyone says you should and I can see why. The singing, (more like chanting really) is great and they feed you after the service and tell you a bit about the Cook Islands. One highlight that can't be beaten on this trip is that we found out that we're going to be grand parents for the first time in December. (So the baby, whatever sex, will always be Cookie to me). Anyway, I'll leave you for now and the next and probably last blog I send will be about our travels in the US of A.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb