Let's Make a Deal, hosted by Wayne Brady


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
October 9th 2009
Published: October 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Anyone who has been to Las Vegas will think what they are about to read here is bog standard in the City of Sin. For us, however, it was a bit of a shock to the system. We headed to vegas to break up our 8 hour journey back to LA with our only other goal being to eat as much as we could for our $24, 24-hour buffet ticket at the Tropicana. We did achieve this in some style but the day would be remembered for a different reason.

There we are eating away and Lindsay strikes up a conversation with a woman who's aunt had appeared on a TV gameshow the previous week. We learn that it is filmed in our hotel and decide to swing by later to find out more. On arrival, we are able to snap up a couple of the last places to be in the audience and end up in a line full of past American Idol contestants and strange characters dressed up in amazing outfits ranging from Rick James (who turned out to be a brilliant Rick James impersonator and the Beatles. Some of the Beatles had actually had plastic surgery to look more like their heroes - how freaky. I caught myself thinking they are probably rubbish. But when they performed in between takes they turned out to be the bootleg beatles and were amazing. SO my radar was firmly off. Lindsay was doing a bit better. She correctly identified a man who was dressed as 'a pooh with a dice on his head'. In front of us was John the ventriloquist. Or anti-ventriloquist as he called himself. He had been abused by Piers Morgan on American Idol before but his confidence not detented he immediately gave me his business card which read: John Veil - Comic / Accountant. Now I think those to occupations are pretty sure to have a negative impact on each other but he seems to get by.

Enter Wayne Brady, the host of the hit CBS show that has been running for 30 years. Its basically like Deal or no deal with Noel Edmonds. The crowd go mad as only Americans can and he starts picking out the people in the most ridiculous outfits including a lady bird and a piece of bacon. They won a speed boat and a holiday respectively. A producer then gave me a gold wig after Lindsay and I had given him some chat about getting engaged on top of Mt Whitney the week before. Lies I know, but worth it. Wayne asked for a couple to "grab his attention" and he choose us after some ferocious arm wiggling and head banging as Lindsay shouted at me "waggle your head George - its the only thing that will get us noticed!" it worked, Wayne choose us and we were on national TV.

He offered us $500 of Macy's vouchers or whatever was behind curtains 1-3. Behind one was a 'zonk' - a dud prize. Clues went with each curatin - 1 was Modern, 2 was fashionable, 3 was exotic. We rejected 3 as I thought it would be a pineapple or somethin. Wayne laughed and then the curtains went back to reveal a crate of bananas. Few. Next we rejected 2 and it turned out to be a trip to New York's Fashion Week worth $5000! Doh. But we did then win a 46 inch Plasma Tv and Blue Ray Cinema system. Unfortunately they don't ship outside the US! SO we may give it to my cousins from San Fran but we'll see - its worth $1500. Not bad and we even won $5 in the Casino after betting a mammoth $1 each! Red's and black's were even - believe me.

More soon from Yosemite NP. Marvellous place.

Advertisement



9th October 2009

I guess what happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas...
Brilliant post, George and Lindsay (henceforth referred to as 'Gindsay') - and well done on your big win, even though it turned out to be a massive fail. Look forward to hearing more about Yosemite. It was the highlight of my trip, I think. Really awesome place x
9th October 2009

Shotgun Home Cinema System
Brownings - I'm more than happy to make the short journey to the US border to do you a favour and take the TV off your hands!! Loving your North American adventure - I'm even more impressed with the number of straight days you spent in the tent - I can only imagine the smells contained within that vinyl sheet after an all you can eat breakfast the day before...
11th October 2009

ebay it
sell that shite on ebay - or craigslist - that should see you living it up for at least another 2 mos!
12th October 2009

What air date!?!?!
Check this out.... Your video and or pics will be online....when did your show air!?!?! http://www.cbs.com/daytime/lets_make_a_deal/video/
13th October 2009

Air date
The show airs in Nobvember but not sure of the date - I'll let you know as soon as I do. Good research though - I'm getting a bit of a TV whore I thing - what with this and Orange Dance Charger. Not to mention the numerous clips you seem to have of me over the last few years. They keep popping up on Facebook and I have no recollection of them! Love to you and Sarah.
16th October 2009

pretty COOL
Only in Vegas! This is a really cool blog, I think that vegas is one of those places that keeps everyone on their toes! It is so interesting you say that about the Bealtes.... I had an almost identical incident! That city is just something else, all walks of life come out at night.
4th November 2009

Why dress up!
Hey Wayne, I love your show. But, why go out of the way to dress up if you're not picking from the outfits. There are some people who's dressing up for the occasion, but you never pick them. All I see is the ones who may have spent only ten dollars and you find them. Please pick the ones who is there to show us what they want us as viewers try to guess, "What's up".
3rd December 2009

how long was the taping
Congrats! I was wondering how long it took you to tape the show. Thanka. Tracy

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb