Day 6 - Anaheim to Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
July 23rd 2009
Published: July 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Early brekkie, a couple of people were hungover - not me =) Got on the bus and it turns out we were waiting on one person - Naman!! He had slept in and was a little hungover.. whoops!
Our tour guide is Christina. She's really nice and she's really passionate about history and geography. That's cool but then she tends to yap on a bit, and did this day on the 4-5 hour drive - the whole way! We also did a sort of get to know you thing. We swapped seats then had to find out a few things about the person we were talking to. We then went up the front of the bus and introduced them, as well as tell a story or dream of ours.
On our drive, we went through deserts, and at one point we were driving through a hailstorm. It was so weird, and it lasted all of maybe 5 minutes and it was sunny again.
Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas! Very hot. The place we were staying was pretty dodgy but it was in an awesome location. We were across the road from the MGM Grand, and next door to the HOOTERS hotel and casino.
We had a little bit of spare time so we had a look in MGM and saw the lions. It's odd - in casino's in Vegas you could just walk in - there's no security standing at the entrance checking ID. The only time you get checked is if you're buying a drink or playing on one of the tables. They hardly even ask you when you're sitting playing the pokies!
We then went to M&M World and Cocoa-Cola World. Both are stores that are about 4 levels high. At Coke we met and got our photos taken with the Coke bear. He was absolutely gorgeous and so funny - I think I've fallen in love with him! =P
We had to rush getting ready for Contiki dinner - and as we left for the bus both Michelle and I locked our room keys inside our room. Not only that, but i also left my wallet in there.. Was so angry and a lil upset - my first night in Vegas and i had no money! At least I had my passport for ID though! Michelle lent me 20 bucks.. I did wonder how far that would get me in Vegas, I figured it would just be an easy night for me...
We had dinner at an Italian restaurant called Buca Di Beppo. Quite nice though at one of the tables near the toilets, it had a round glass case with the head of the pope in it. So you could eat dinner and look at his head?! Our table was a good group - Scott, Mich, LV, Nathan, James, Steve, Carl and Kate.
After dinner we were taken to the Vegas sign and took some photos.
We then drove down the strip at night - so pretty, so many lights! Even the golden arches were lit up all pretty!
We went to have a look at one of the wedding chapel. It was a very cute one called the Graceland Wedding Chapel. Bon Jovi was married at this chapel. Surprise wedding! One of the couples on the tour, Linda and Glen, renewed their vowels which was exciting. And it was done by Elvis too! We all got photo's with Elvis on the way out.
We went and had a look at Freemont Street, in Downtown Las Vegas - the original and real Vegas. Apparently where the Strip is, isn't actually classed as Vegas.. I don't know what it's really called. Freemont Street is famous for it's light show. The whole street is pedestrians only, and has one long continuous screen the length of the street. Every hour or half hour they do shows i think. The one we saw just happened to be a Queen one so that was really cool! They were also having some kind of Hippy festival, so they had a band playing that seemed to be doing Doors songs. They were good,but it really seemed like they hadn't left the 60's, they seemed quite out of their minds to put it nicely =P
Christina then took us to a couple of clubs at the Palms Casino. It's off the strip a bit. We went first to a club called Ghost Bar. It was on the 55th floor. It had a balcony and the view was incredible! They had free tequila until midnight i think, so we took much advantage of that. Also on the balcony it has a small piece of perspex on the ground so when standing on it, you could see the side of thee building all the way to the ground. That was kinda cool too. But the view was the best bit. You could see the whole strip and all the lights and everything. Soooo pretty!
We then headed down a coupla floors to Moon club. It seemed to have an open roof. All us Contiki girls - including guide Christina were up there dancing. That's all we did... I don't even know where the bar was - not that any of us needed more =P
At that point we headed down to the Casino, I lost 5 bucks on the pokies - which by way took me 20 mins to figure out. They're the opposite of ours back home. Still didn't really have much more to drink there.
We decided to head back somewhere closer to our hotel, so we headed to Hooters. It's not really a very nice casino, Crown Casino at home is nicer. Still we had a few drinks. As long as you're sitting on the machine's or playing on the tables they'll give you free drinks - all you have to give is about a dollar tip. So we got one drink then headed to some seats to drink and chat. At this point the group had gotten much smaller. It was only Sam, Michelle, Nathan, Scott and myself. Can't remember much of the conversations but I do remember finding at more about Sam. She lives in Dubai and is a teacher and has some funny stories about her friends getting arrested for Public displays of affection... odd!
Headed back to the hotel and had a beer in Nathan and Tim's room. Tim and Carrissa were there too so it was a little squashy. Didn't even finish the beer before we headed off to our rooms. At this point I think it was about 5am.
And this was proof that you can have a massive night in Vegas with little money - from that 20 Michelle lent me, I came home with 15!
Oh! Almost forgot our door key story. So we had locked our keys in our room, so on the way back from Hooters we figured we see what we could do it getting another from reception. The woman working was looking like she'd had a rough night and not in the best mood. Mich said, umm we have a bit of a dilemma, we locked our keys in our room before we left tonight, and so we can't get back in.
The woman goes, “well that is a dilemma...”
We were thinking oh crap and were slightly scared.
Receptionist: “What can we do.. Do either of you smoke?”
Us: “Noo...”
R: “Have any bubble gum?”
Us: “umm.. no?”
R: “Well what are we gonna do?? What can you give me??”
Us (rummaging through our bags)
Mich: “I have my passport?!”
R: “Is it a good photo? Lemme see”
(Looks at passport) “Oh no that's a horrible photo!” (she begins laughing) “Why do they make y'all look so angry in them photos??”
Mich: “We're not allowed to smile!!”
She gave Mich her passport back and Mich found some matches she's taken from Ghost Bar.
Mich: “i have some matches.... They're from Ghost Bar!”
R: “oooooooh I like that place!”
Mich: “And they're green!”
R: “Well now that's my favourite colour! Oh look they match my outfit! Now i think we can do something!”
Laughing, she gave us a new room key. She was so funny! For the next night we gave Lauren the spare, just in case 😉

Advertisement



28th July 2009

Hello there in the US
Hi Marn, Your travel blogs are great. It sound like you are having a fabulous time, hope the trip continues to be just as fabulous if not better. Sam xoxoxo

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb