Leaving Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
July 16th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bunny!Bunny!Bunny!

Jack Rabbit Sculpture at Las Vegas Airport

Right then, where were we...


We woke up after another night of unbroken sleep-thanks Jack! Whilst Annabel launched herself into the singularly female task of packing, the men (or at least Man and Jack), went off to retrieve the traditional Vegas breakfast of fruit cups and Banana Nut loaf from Starbuck’s. We decamped successfully, checked out at the foyer and were taken to the airport by the world’s least talkative taxi driver.

Given the current security constraints, we got to our departure gate family quickly and passed the time consuming hot dogs and blogging (the strength of any given wireless location is directly proportional to the level of Annabel’s tantrum!)

Anyroadup, the flight was brief and painless, and with a blink and a thump we had landed at SFO airport.

Thoughts about Nevada and Vegas

Well.. not sure where to start really. We had a good time, the kids enjoyed it and it was certainly an experience. No doubt we would return for more adult pursuits without the nippers, but it’s got to be said that a complete moral vacuum is pervasive in the place. That might be because so many short term occupants from so many different origins are cramped into the same space, all pursuing whatever they perceive their flavour of hedonism to be, but the outcome is definitely a dog-eat-dog culture: not that it should be surprising. Given more of a chance we would probably have indulged a little more ourselves!

Other observations? It really is ridiculously hot, and it’s no surprise that the place didn’t start to grow until the invention of air conditioning. It was difficult to shield the little ones from the advertising of more dubious services, but I think we managed it. Some of the spectacles there are genuinely breathtaking - the Bellagio water display at night, and the internal decor of the Venetian hotel to name just a couple. I (Mark) definitely felt in a minority though, and it’s easier to feel secure as I write this from San Francisco.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb