Sin City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
May 4th 2007
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Finally we sat at Dulles Airport, Washington DC waiting for the JetBlue flight to Las Vegas. There we were on the holiday of a lifetime. In the afternoon hubby had been feeling a bit jittery abt the trip and suddenly I too had the nerves. I wonder why. It must be because of all the changes and travelling we have to do to go back to India and then Delhi. It was just nerves. The thought of some 2 grand plus going down the drain pulled us up and made us make our way to the airport.

Our first glimpse of Vegas was at 11.15 pm Vegas time which is 2.15 am DC time so I was already sleepy. As the plane landed on McCarran airport I could see the million lights of the strip in the distance- The Mandalaya Bay Hotel and New York New York primarily.

The LV airport is something. First you see the "desert-like" interiors complete with palm trees, huge lizard and snake statues. Then come the MAIN ATTRACTION- the slot machines. The gambling starts from the airport. No need to waste any time. Get on with it junkies. It was the first time I heard the music I was to hear continously over the next several days- the "tinininini" sound of the slot machine after one lays a bet.

We purchased tickets for the Strip shuttle (a good deal $6). This shuttle goes to all stip hotels and therefore is cheaper than a cab.

A gujju family got in the shuttle with us and then went their usual chattering way with "jo mummy...monte carlo hotal". Suddenly I was not sure whether I was in a Mumbai local or a Strip shuttle. I blinked a few times and looked outside the window. The huge Harley Davidson bike jutting out of the Harley Cafe brought me back to Sin City. By now it was 3 am as per my body clock and I nodding off. As luck would have it our hotel was on the north end of the strip - Circus Circus so we were the last ones to get off the bus.
On the drive we arched our necks and marvelled at the Wynn...saw some people dressed to the nines getting out of limos. Limos are dime a dozen in LV. In fact, some days later I counted 6 in a row! That was some site.

Murphy was certainly working overtime and the check-in line at Circus Circus was 45 mins long. Well we had expected it as tripadvisor.com reviews had mentioned this. Finally we checked in and were given a room in something called Manor. Now this is just a dump around one city block away from the Circus Circus reception. Trust my luck to get a room in the 'D' buildinf...meaning the one fartest from the road... Grrrr I was not happy and suffice it to say that I was a bit cranky.

The saving grace was that the room was clean and so was the bath. Finally I fell into bed for some blissfull sleep. No so soon woman, the folks in the neighbouring room ensured that with the door-banging and merry-making. This was Vegas baby and only old-foggies like me were going to bed at 1.20am LV time.

The next morning, Aai Baba's anniverary, called them up and wishes them. Missed them. Then lazed around in bed. I was so reluctant to get going that it was almost 1pm before we left the room.

First stop- Circus Circus Casino. Looked at the slot machines-relooked at them- screwed my eyebrows and looked at them-frowned and looked at them and then gave up. I didnt know the first thing about gambling and nor am I interested in losing my hard earned money. I moved on as there are other things to see and do. We wandered around and watched the circus acts for a while and spent time watching people play "mela-type" games in the Green Zone. This is the area for kids or those below 21 who are forbidden to enter the betting areas.

We decided to walk the strip and marched out of Circus Circus only to realize that it was bloody cold. The wind was strong enough to push my no so feather-weight self. A quick run to Manor D for sweatshirts and we were equipped to walk the Strip.

The Strip really amazed me. What is LV after all? It is just a city in middle of the Mojave desert thanks to the availability of water and the development of the Union Pacific Railway which found Vegas a convenient stop for rail-road workers to have some fun. Therefore, came the casinos and the entertainment shows in this city founded in 1904. Far off in the distance you can see the desert and the somewhat scary looking Black Mountains though the city is still growing at a fast pace.

The walk down the Strip was exhausting but fun. The first big hotel we passed was Treasure Island complete with 2 pirate ships and the wooden pier-like structure on the pavement.
Believe it or not we went to every bloody casino on that Strip except inside the Bellagio and the Luxor. We ditched Mandalay Bay as it was too far.

I think Vegas brings out the buffon in people. All over people were walking around holding the biggest cocktail glasses ever. The tallest one being those in shape of the Eiffel Tower holding 16 oz of drink. I saw ones shaped as a Globe too. As the evening came and the lights went on the strip we found a spot and watched the famed Bellagio fountains. They are really something. We liked them so much that we waited another 15 mins for the next show- this time the fountains danced on the Pink Panther signature tune- Tana tana tana tana tannaaa..tananana.

Oh I forgot we also visit the Maddam Tussadds- getting $4 off each tickets thanks to a coupon I found on the net. I am soooo resourceful. I liked only the Johnny Depp as Captain Sparrow and Elizabeth Taylor statue as everyone else looked unreal. Saw the saddest looking Sly Stallone. Sean Connery was unrecognizable.

The Venetian gondola rides looked cheesy to me as they glide on tracks so its just a water-tram in shape of a gondola. Do I sound unappreciating? Its because the entire city seemed silly to me. People were acting silly, dressed silly and much too crass for my taste.

Believe it or not we were back at the hotel by 11 pm.

Did the Fremont Street, NY NY and the MGM plus some other places the next day- May 6.
Boy did we see some moneyed folks at the MGM. It was the day of the fight between Oscar De La Hoya's fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. We walked into the MGM and suddenly we were admist gym-slick bodies in Valentino and Jimmy Choos. Saw some very underworld-type Latinos with pierced ears, diamond studs and menacing body-guards. Our scruffy selves shouldered their way through this dollared crowd. Though our shorts and T-shirts did not stop hustlers from trying to sell us tickets for the fight.

Hustlers are everywhere in Vegas. The Latinos who stand on the roads offering paying card-like cards with photos of hookers. All claim to have a girl in your room in 20 mins. Hmm...interesting but no thanks.

Hubby wished me at 12 am. Frankly I was so sleepy that I did not realize its midnight and bday time. Got a great bday gift 😉.

Next day was Trek America trip time. The reason for me being in Vegas. I was elated and sooooo looking forward to it. Though was not really looking forward to waking up at 5.30am to go to La Quinta by 7.30am.












Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb