A Cave Walk in Great Basin


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

We had to get up earlier than we had been and made sure we all ate a good breakfast. We had a Cave Walk to attend.

There are several caves in the Great Basin National Park and 2 have ranger-led walks. One a 1-1/2 hour walk is more difficult and children under 5 are not allowed. As our youngest is only 4 we had to opt for the 1-hour walk which accepts people of any age.

The cave walk meets up at the Lehman Visitor Center. Lehman is the person who discovered the caves and capitalized on that discovery.

The grandkids were really excited as they have been in Lava Tubes but not a cave.

https://www.nps.gov/grba/planyourvisit/lehman-caves-tours.htm

After entering the cave we passed by the original opening. Wood stairs were built for people to access. Now there is a paved entry under the original opening and the entire path thru the cave is lit.

After entering the 1st main room, the ranger turns out all of the lights. Lucian immediately said, “Oh, it is dark”. And dark it is, you can’t even see your hand in front of your face. The walk goes thru several rooms,
The Music RoomThe Music RoomThe Music Room

In the early years, some musicians were allowed to come in with mallets and make music on the formations. This is a very narrow passage.
one so narrow that by sticking your elbows out you'd touch the walls.

Fortunately, all of us had no fear of being underground, although Dale admitted that the thought passed his mind that it was not a good time for an earthquake.



This is a must see for anyone going into Great Basin!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.525s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb