A Hike in Great Basin with Kids


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Summer Trip #1

Grandkids trips

Like all of our National Park visits, this one started at the Visitor’s Center, picking up Jr. Ranger booklets and learning about the park. Kids had looked at the displays and we all watched the film. The Ranger gave us good info on some hikes that would be easy but nice. The Ranger also gave us some info on nearby cave tours, but we’d need to get tickets online.

We got up late but we needed to go where we had enough internet service to get tickets for the caves. We had to go back to the Visitor’s Center to finally have enough service. After driving back to the RV to get our Senior Pass info necessary to purchase the tickets, and picking up firewood, we were finally ready to hike.

There was a short trail, .6 miles, up to the upper campground, that started close to our campsite. We decided to take that trail instead of one further away.

The trail runs along the stream and is an easy walk thru the woods. The trail ends up at a day use area where kids can climb and run. Kids took turns holding their hands in the ice cold stream with me timing them to see who could hold their hand in the longest. A good lesson on how cold the water can be.



This 1.2-mile r/t trail took about 3 hours to walk, a great afternoon activity.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.455s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb