Hoover Dam; Top 100 wonders of the World


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hoover Dam is one of the top 100 Wonders of the World. Located between Arizona and Nevada, it is a straddle for the Colorado River, a concrete arch-gravity dam in the Black Canyon of the River. An engineering and architectural wonder it was the world's largest dam in 1930 when it was constructed. It is a Historic landmark and one of the most visited structures in the United States.

After the September 11 tragedy of 2001, the security of the dam became heightened. Nothing to be feared, it’s nothing like boarding a plane security. In late 2010 the construction of a bypass bridge over the dam began. The bridge was to divert the overwhelming traffic away from the dam. The original two way highway crossing the dam could no longer handle that much traffic.

With a little over 3500 visitors daily, you could say the traffic is great. But is it also an income bringer to the state of Nevada. If you are driving in from Las Vegas, getting there is easy. Just take Tropicana Avenue to US highway 515 south, this turns into Interstate 93 South which leads directly to the dam. The drive is scenic and dramatic giving way to sudden rise at Boulder city to reveal Lake Mead. Keep your cameras out; this is a great photo op. From here on, the rise and drop into the canyon of the dam is without a doubt one of the most scenic and photo perfect.

In the last two years since the beginning of the construction of the bridge, I have crossed the dam three times; this time around the bridge was complete. My family enjoyed the tour even though it was incredibly hot. With the exception of my husband and 3 month old son, we were covered with hug fancy hats to keep the sun out of our faces.

This is definitely one of the top 100 Wonders of the World to add to a "Bucket List" or "To do List" Highly recommended for all travelers.

Favorite quote: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Hoover Dam 2012Hoover Dam 2012
Hoover Dam 2012

Africancrab at Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb