Day 31 – Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Boulder City
December 15th 2009
Published: December 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From HelicopterFrom HelicopterFrom Helicopter

I can only select photos from an image 2cm big, so if this isn't good, we do have plenty more :)
A bright early start to the day at 4am. We jumped on a bus and settled in for our expected 6 hour ride to the Grand Canyon and to our surprise after 30 mins was at the airport. Andrew and I had no idea, but we were actually flying to the canyon! We were on 15 seater plane for an hour flight. Flew over Hoover Dam and out into the middle of no where. After about 40 mins, Andrew and I were again surprised to be flying over snow, we arrived at Grand Canyon airport to -14c and freshest and softest snow we have both ever seen. It would’ve been nice to be told it would be cold, as our hoodies really weren’t helping too much in the cold. We were then escorted out to our helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon. It was amazing, we both sat there with our mouths wide open. So beautiful and breath taking. Was the best experience so far. Nothing can explain how I felt out there. Just amazing!

We then went and had a look at it from the ground in a few areas, at one point we were looking a mile ino the earth and couldn’t even make out the Colorado River. With the snow on the rims and it completely natural colours in the middle, it was sooo beautiful. Think we took about a 150 photos.
Also had a mini snow fight 😊

Got back just after lunch which was great as it was like an extra day as we had planned to be away all day. Although I needed a nap, so after a bit Andrew left me to try his luck at Roulette... he came back so excited and I though whoa hoo... he’s won... well turns out you get free grog while sitting at the tables, so this was even better than winning according to Andrew. He was $20 up though 😊

Headed out for dinner found a nice little Italian place (safest and best size meals in USA). Explored a bit more and ended up in “Paris” playing a bit of roulette, enjoying our free grog!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb