Iowa-Nebraska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nebraska
October 24th 2005
Published: October 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We got to see a high school football game last Friday night (10/21) in Cedar Rapids, IA. It was C.R. Prairie at Xavier & we rooted for the visiting team since we met a nice couple in the parking lot who were there to watch their grandson on the Prairie team. Those farm boys sure are big!! Prairie ran away with the game 28-7. Afterwards, we went to the Frightmare Forest, which was in the woods behind Xavier H.S. The H.S. drama club put this together - it was pretty good (both Ken & I got spooked a couple of times).

On Saturday(10/22), we shot across the middle of Iowa on Rte. 30 - a really pretty country drive - to get to Council Bluffs, IA which sits on the Missouri River, right across from Omaha, NE. We were heading for the Acorn Feed Supply Store, which has held country jam sessions inside the store for the last 25 years. We spent 4 hours there listening to the great music & talking to the locals. Mr. Harry Fronk and his wife Marge started the jam sessions in his store & he said they used to have pigs, chickens & goats running around inside there. He sold the feed supply store last year & the new owners have “gussied up” the place, but they still allow the jam sessions to take place. One of the locals, Mr. Jim G. Pike, has played with some pretty big country music stars - he was very good. They were all real nice to us & even invited Ken & me to join them for dinner at the local Italian restaurant, but we thanked them for the invite and then hit the road for Nebraska.

We spent most of the day on Sunday driving on Nebraska Scenic Byway Rte 2, through the Sandhills district. Now we are heading north to South Dakota, toward the Rosebud Indian Reservation and the Badlands.

(I forget to mention Herman, the man in the photo. He is 87-years old and still singing & playing the dobro & harmonica at the Acorn Feed Supply Store. He was great, and also a real flirt!)




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



24th October 2005

Great Pics
I love your pictures...they are a great sample of America! It sounds like you are having fun along the way :-)
24th October 2005

cool trip
diane- it looks like you are having fun...the pics look preeeetty professional. what kind of camera are you using!? how far is the drive from canadian/US border to the closest border in alaska!? my email is seankelleyart@earthlink.net chow- sean
27th October 2005

Go Herman!
So Herman was a real flirt ey? How cute! Your pics are pretty darn nice! good job. thanks for all the updates, keep 'em coming, I love reading this!
27th October 2005

Great Fun
Diane- This is awesome to follow your journey! The pics are beautiful!

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb