Niobrara, Nebraska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nebraska
October 2nd 2023
Published: October 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

SunsetSunsetSunset

This is a beautiful state park with many awesome views.
Niobrara State Park is a public recreation area located at the confluence of the Missouri and Niobrara rivers in the northeast corner of Nebraska. The state park occupies river bluffs to the west of the Niobrara River. The Park offers 120 acres of free-range horseback riding as opposed to designated trails. Twenty cabins sit high on the bluffs overlooking the beautiful Missouri River Valley. Although there were over 100 campsites, we were the solitary campers during most of the week. We enjoyed hiking the trails at the park, some good cardio as it was hilly. Many overlooks with views of the Niobrara & Missouri Rivers. One day we even took a bike ride. Glad we had electric bikes to help us up the hills! We enjoyed a picnic lunch at one of the overlook areas. Would definitely stay here again if in the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

EntranceEntrance
Entrance

The park is very large, bounded to the north by the Missouri River and to the east by the Niobrara River.
HomeHome
Home

Our camp site was very nice, a concrete pad with water and sewer hookups, far from any other site. It was located in the upper park section.
View from the hillView from the hill
View from the hill

As you can see, we are in a little valley all by our lonesome.In fact, we were the only campers in the park for the first couple of days! Very unexpected.
TrailsTrails
Trails

The trails were wide mowed paths covered in grass.
TrailTrail
Trail

The hilltop trail location looks over where the Niobrara joins with the Missouri River. You can see how windy it was by Lois' hat.
TrailTrail
Trail

Further down the trail, it overlooks the Missouri River. The Nebraska - South Dakota state line splits the middle of the river.
RR BridgeRR Bridge
RR Bridge

One trail led us down to the Niobrara River to an abondoned railroad bridge.
RR BridgeRR Bridge
RR Bridge

Part of the railroad bridge fell into the river and was washed downstream.
Picnic OverlookPicnic Overlook
Picnic Overlook

You can see the picnic shelter at the peak of this hill. We ate lunch there one day.
Picnic OverlookPicnic Overlook
Picnic Overlook

This is the view looking north from the highest peak of the campground.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb