Merritt Reservoir


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nebraska » Valentine
October 5th 2023
Published: October 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We enjoyed a lovely site at this campground at Merritt Reservoir. While here we went to Smith Falls and crossed the pedestrian bridge over the Niobrara River part of the Cowboy Trail. Who doesn't love a waterfall? The nearby town of Valentine is where we stopped for lunch at the Peppermill Restaurant & Lounge for delicious burgers. We enjoyed sitting by the water at the back of our campsite. This was a nice relaxing stay.

"The sunlight still shining,
The water doesn't mind.
It continues it's journey,
Searching for it's destination."


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Cowboy TrailCowboy Trail
Cowboy Trail

This former railroad bridge southeast of Valentine, Nebraska is the jewel of the "Cowboy Trail" that stretches across northern Nebraska. The 140-foot tall steel structure completed in 1910 was the tallest railroad bridge ever constructed in Nebraska.
Verdigre BridgeVerdigre Bridge
Verdigre Bridge

Nebraska's newest state park includes a trail to the state's tallest waterfall (70 feet), Smith Falls, via historic bridge across the Niobrara River. The bridge was moved to the park.
Smith FallsSmith Falls
Smith Falls

Smith Falls is named for Frederic Smith, who filed the first homestead patent on the land that encompasses the falls. The site became a state park in 1992.
Smith FallsSmith Falls
Smith Falls

It was an easy hike to the falls.
Merrit ReservoirMerrit Reservoir
Merrit Reservoir

Situated in a narrow, picturesque valley of the Snake River, Merritt Reservoir is 26 miles southwest of Valentine in Nebraska's unique Sandhills.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb