"I Will Fight No More, Forever."


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana
June 26th 2016
Published: June 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We got an early start this morning, and left Theodore Roosevelt National Park at 7am. On the drive to Glacier, I hoped to stop at the Fort Union Trading Post, as it’s one of the highlighted national parks and historic sites this year. Unfortunately, it didn’t open until 9am. So, we missed it this time.

We entered Montana and were surprised by how open and unpopulated it is. I mean, I guess we already knew that it wasn’t a very populous state, but it was still surprising to see land stretch on in all directions with no homes or buildings in sight. We did drive through a couple small towns, most on reservations, some with services. We drove through fairly long stretches where we couldn’t get gas. We kept the tank full, so it worked out OK. Along our route, we passed through many reservations. They seemed thriving here. Some of the reservation towns even had tribal community colleges.



I went to check out the Bear’s Paw Battlefield, about 15 miles south of Chinook. It's the site where Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce were attacked as they fled to Canada. They had a long history of
MontanaMontanaMontana

We had to pull over so Oliver could tinkle. We were about still quite some distance to the next town, and he couldn't wait.
being promised to keep their native range, but then have it revoked. When they were attacked in northern Montana, many children were left cold without shelter or blankets. Chief Joseph was promised they could return to their home if he surrendered. That's when he gave his famous speech declaring, "I will fight no more forever." They were banished to Oklahoma--not their native land--and he was never able to return home again.



After we saw the battlefield, we drove back into town (Chinook, Montana) to go to the Blaine County Museum. The ranger told me it takes about 30 minutes to watch the presentation on the Nez Perce, and it's also where we could get a cancellation stamp in our national parks passport books. Unfortunately, it was closed. It isn't open on the weekends. It was disappointing to miss!



I have more pictures of the battlefield below. Above is a panoramic of the area where they fought, and there's a plaque marking the surrender.





































































































































































































































































































































A ranger was there, discussing the battle and
surrender. We went to the museum and ranger station back in town, but it was
unfortunately closed (it’s only open on weekdays). I had to miss the display
and my cancellation stamp.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Blaine County MuseumBlaine County Museum
Blaine County Museum

This is where you can learn more about the Nez Perce and also get a cancellation stamp in the national passport books, but they are closed on weekends.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb