Fishing Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana
June 25th 2010
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We traveled a whole 30 miles today to Rock Creek, a Blue Ribbon trout fishing place. Rich bought a two-day license, we set up our trailer, and got ready to FISH! We drove up the dirt road along Rock Creek. Since the creek itself was running high, we decided to stop at a tributary stream about ten miles up. We hiked up a trail by a cascading creek about a mile until it flattened enough to have good holes. Rich dropped in his line and in less than a minute he had a nice little golden trout. He let the little guy go. While Rich fishes, Nancy looks at wildflowers and birds. Daisy tries to sleep. The wildflowers were lovely, especially the western pansy violets. What summer smell is better than hot pine needles mingled with wild roses? MMM-MMMM. On the hike back down, we saw zillions of frog eggs in the seep of a spring. We headed back down the mountain to fish in the main creek, since it's a famous creek. We wondered why such a famous troutstream didn't have good access throught the willows and brush and a well-trodden path on both sides like the other famous troutstreams we'd been to. We finally figured it out. Because the water was so high - bank to bank- the usual beaches and shoals that fishermen walk on were underwater! Oh! We'll have to come back in August when the water is down and try again! Still, Rich cast out his fly and in less than a minute he had a brookie eleven inches long and a keeper. He kept fishing a few more holes and released about six more. Part way down the road, there was a trailhead parking area for a stream that entered Rock Creek on the other side. To get to the stream, you had to cross a swinging bridge. We decided to cross the bridge for fun. We don't usually go for the swinging bridges, but this one looked pretty sturdy. It wasn't even scary. As we headed back to the camper, we saw a herd of bighorn sheep revelling in the tall grass in a pasture near the creek. They were were ewes and youngsters.
We had a lovely day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



28th June 2010

THAT was a sturdy bridge? I don't think so.
29th June 2010

AWESOME!
I am so happy you guys are having so much fun! Beautiful pics, Mom. Congrats on the fish, Dad!

Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb