Scenic Route


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Dillon
June 24th 2010
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We weren't in a hurry to leave this morning. As we were waiting for free coffee to brew, Rich got in a conversation with a local guy. Before they were done, Rich had an idea about a beautiful scenic route (isn't everything scenic here?) and a couple of good places to fish. I had to get a towel, he was drool ing so badly. We liked the town of dillon. If we were to move to Montana (in summers), we might pick Dillon! Relaz, we're not really contemplating ist, although Howard would like to visit us and go fishing here!) So, off we set on a lovely route, that Jodie says is the Northern Tier bicycle route that she took. it also follows the route Lewis and Clark took. The man this morning was saying that not far from where we camped, (the spot is now covered by a reservoir) is the place where Sacagawea met her brother and was able to get horses fro the exploring party.
Hey, Max, we passed through a bump in the road named Maxville! At lunch, when we pulled over by the side of the road, we watched a doe and her fawn munching grass, oblivious to us. This year the grass is so lush. How can you transplanted Montanans stand to be away from here in this green green green time of year? We watched a small herd of antelope out in the tall grass and the babies were jumping and gamboling about enjoying youth.
Well, it turned out that the water in the creeks and rivers is too high right now, too fast, and too muddy for good fishing, unless you can get up higher into the mountains. Bummer.
We stopped at the Big Hole National Battlefield, where the Nez Perce Indians had camped on their way to find peace in Canada. The actual park and the visitor center were closed, but we picked up and read some info. What a tragic story.
We camped next to the Clarks Fork River, which was running high. After we had a small thunderstorm, we wondered if this park was a good place to be! The water didn't rise enough to worry about. Whew!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb