Missoula


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Missoula
August 28th 2013
Published: August 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We are here at Jim an Mary's RV Park west of Missoula. A flower-filled RV park, work of one man who works seemingly constantly to keep gardens, pots, areas along walkways, you name it, vibrant with color. What a treat. We had had our mail forwarded to Charmaine's sister, Marlene; and Marlene graciously met us at Cracker Barrel restaurant and treated us to supper Tuesday evening! Thanks, Marlene!

Wednesday, we did RV chores, then headed out to the Montana Smokejumpers Center for a real treat: a tour of the center, explanation of the smokejumpers work and skills (ranging from parachuting, firefighting, CPR, camping, sewing their own suits and jump bags, and repairing their own chutes) and conversations with smokejumpers themselves. This is the largest contingent of smokejumpers in the U.S.: 60-strong, among whom 4 are women. Both smokejumper planes we saw were used previously; one in Iraq, and the other in WWII, now retrofitted with more powerful engines. Both planes are owned the the Nat'l Forest Service. I've included some explanations with the pics. Enjoy!

In the evening, we were treated in the campground to a concert by two fellows with song, guitar, banjo, drum and mandolin. One of the guys is a Native American who shared some of his tradition with us. Wonderful evening!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



4th September 2013

John is impressed with the packs.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb