Montana Glacier National Park/Libby MT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Kalispell
August 22nd 2015
Published: August 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

The ride up to Kalispell was a bit long but very nice. It was a wonderful warm day. As we approach our destination we stopped for a few groceries before connecting with Hwy 35 around Flathead lake. it was a 40 mile ride up the east side of the lake and how awesome is the ride. The water in many places here is like the Caribbean, greenish blue and so clear you can see down and see the rock bottom like it is in your hands. We arrive at camp and enjoy a nice night and plan for the ride up into Glacier National Park in the morning. When we awake we see the storm rolling in the north where the park is so we decide to head south and do a Harley ride all the way around the lake, down the east side and back around the west side. It was a great day and a very warm enjoyable ride. We cant have campfires because the fire danger is in the extreme category as there are fires burning in the whole north west of the country. We enjoyed a good grilled meal and played scrabble until the wee hours of the morning. The following day we decide to ride into Glacier and go to the Going To The Sun Road which winds all the way through the park and good views of the mountains and Glaciers which the park is known for. We made it about twenty miles into the park and we were frozen, the temperatures dropped to 48 degrees with wind and took the fun right out of the ride. We decided to turn back and try another day. We stopped at the entrance of the park at the restaurant and enjoyed a hot chocolate and the best cinnamon roll I have ever had. We then started back to camp and visited the hungry Horse Dam along the way and found a few secluded roads to enjoy along the way. It turned out to be a great day. The third day we headed up to the Going To The Sun Road once again and today was good, not a whole lot warmer but much less wind so we made it all the way around to St Marys, East Glacier and back around Hwy 2 back towards Kalispell. It turned out to be a 250 mile ride so we were exhausted when we returned. The following day we took a ride to the north towards the Canadian boarder and ended up in Eureka Mt. Along the way we stopped and saw one of the fires burning, that was crazy watching it spread as the wind blew and the flames in broad daylight going up into the sky. we then took Hwy 37 around the reservoir, what an awesome ride this turned out to be. I am sure one of those photos will be enlarged. Hwy 37 took us all the way around to Libby Montana so we stopped at the store and found my good friend John Ristau. We made plans to visit John and Linda for a fe wdays parking the camper in their front yard. We returned to Kalispell for the night but not before stopping for a drink and finding Kathys now favorite, Deep Fried Chicken Gizzards, Yummm... We now will get ready to pack up camp and make the return trip to Libby for the next few days. We roll into John and Linda's , set up the camper visit for a few minutes then off we went to see some of the local sites. What a wonderful place in the world, a little smoky from the local fires but we managed to find some wonderful sites, a beautiful waterfall and the Cedar woods with huge large Cedar trees and a wonderful quite little walk which gave us a chance to talk and catch up on life as we walked. We then road on some forest roads which took us up and down the mountain sides and saw some beautiful sites from up there. We then had a delicious pizza and some more great conversation. We ended the evening with another ride on a forest road where we saw a huge bull moose which was awesome. The second day we took a ride up to a Yaak, Montana and along the way visited more sites and yet another awesome waterfall along the way. While driving Kathy spotted a Bear in an apple tree which was really cute and fun to see. We then headed back to the house where John fixed us his famous fish and rib dinner. It was really good and fun to continue to catch up and enjoy the smiling faces of John and Linda. I am very glad we decided to make the call to come and visit Libby and visit the long lost friends John and Linda. After not seeing them for almost ten years it was great to see them doing well, happy, and enjoying life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Linda is so Funny!Linda is so Funny!
Linda is so Funny!

Huge Cedar Trees Everywhere here!
Linda, Greg and John.Linda, Greg and John.
Linda, Greg and John.

Thanks for showing us around Libby area!
How awesome is that!How awesome is that!
How awesome is that!

Kathy's favorite picture of the whole trip
He was really Cute!He was really Cute!
He was really Cute!

No he cant come home with us, LOL
A small lake in the mountains!A small lake in the mountains!
A small lake in the mountains!

So peaceful, it was great to relax and enjoy!
Kathy and LindaKathy and Linda
Kathy and Linda

New friends are great!


Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb