Going to the Sun Road


Advertisement
Published: August 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

42 degrees when we started our trek this morning. Our goal for the day was to drive the Going to the Sun Road & take in as many sites along the way as possible. The road is narrow & winds its way up to Logan Pass, then goes down to St. Mary. The views of the mountains, lakes, & falls were majestic. Yes, we are possibly getting overloaded on beautiful scenery. Hopefully my pictures will share some of this beauty.

We had lunch overlooking Lake St. Mary at the Snowgoose Grill. Since we were less than 40 miles from the Canadian border, we decided to head to Waterton Lakes International Peace Park & check out Waterton Village & Red Rock Canyon. Had to stay alert as several times we were surprised by cattle grazing right beside the road & occasionally they crossed the road. After a bit of shopping in Waterton Village & touring Red Rock Canyon, we headed back to USA. Big excitement! Tim spotted a black bear on the hillside, close enough to take pictures, but far enough away to be out of danger, so we got our pictures. That was a thrill. Earlier in the day we saw 3 Dahl sheep on some rocks high above our heads. Don't think we will see a moose, but glad we finally saw a bear!

It was 6:30 when we got to Lake McDonald Lodge. We had a Deluxe cabin with 2 separate King rooms. Looked like a cabin on the outside, but inside was newly decorated and the only thing "rough" about it was no TV! It was a chilly 62 degrees when we walked down to the lake before dinner. Our cabin was on the lake & just a short walk to the water's edge & to the lodge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Heaven's PeakHeaven's Peak
Heaven's Peak

This is actually from a distance. We reached Heaven's Peak, elevation 8987 feet.
Wild Goose IslandWild Goose Island
Wild Goose Island

Tiny island in Lake McDonald.
Logan PassLogan Pass
Logan Pass

Continental Divide.
Lake Waterton, CanadaLake Waterton, Canada
Lake Waterton, Canada

Prince of Wales resort in background.
Our cabin, 3A & 3BOur cabin, 3A & 3B
Our cabin, 3A & 3B

2 separate entry doors inside
Beautiful flowersBeautiful flowers
Beautiful flowers

Hanging baskets are used everywhere and they thrive!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb