Our Grand Finale


Advertisement
Published: August 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

42 degrees when we set out again this morning. Our plan was to get out early to some of the sites on Going to the Sun Road that we missed on Thursday because all the parking was full. We were successful & got pictures of more beautiful mountains, glaciers, lakes, & falls, including Triple Arches & St. Mary Falls. Tim, Bill, & I were adventureous and hiked 1.6 miles to St. Mary Falls & back. It was a nice morning hike, however, it delayed our breakfast so long we missed breakfast at St. Mary Lodge. We stayed on the narrow, winding road to East Glacier & decided to check out the restaurants in East Glacier. Had lunch at Two Medicine Grill and most interesting was the homemade rhubarb-orange pie we shared for dessert. There were chopped oranges mixed with the rhubarb--it was very good--I think the pie baker made up the recipe.

After lunch we journeyed out to Two Medicine Lake & Running Eagle Falls. We all enjoyed the .6 mile hike to the falls & back. Upon leaving the NP we took a little trip to Browning, MT & visited The Museum of the Plains Indian. The exhibits were all authentic Indian artifacts & most amazing was the REAL scalp!

It was about 5 p.m. when we moved in to the historic Glacier Park Lodge for our last night in the park. The lodge was built in 1913 at a cost of $786,000. The huge pillars used inside & out weigh 15 tons each. Individual bathrooms were added to the guest rooms in 1950. Still no TV in the rooms. We each had a large room in the lodge & we shared a balcony where we had a little Happy Hour before going to dinner in the lodge dining room.

Planning for tomorrow not so exciting--it is time to head east!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Hike to St. Mary FallsHike to St. Mary Falls
Hike to St. Mary Falls

.8 mile each way
Glacier Park LodgeGlacier Park Lodge
Glacier Park Lodge

Grand Entrance
Glacier Park LodgeGlacier Park Lodge
Glacier Park Lodge

East Glacier


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb