Destination Glacier National Park


Advertisement
Published: August 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Spent some time this morning enjoying our surroundings at Butler Creek Lodge outside Missoula. Our hosts provided muffins, fruit, cereal & coffee. It was nice to sit outside & enjoy nature.

We pulled out at 10:40, heading north on State Rt. 93 thru the National Bison Range next to the Mission Mountain Range. At Polson, MT we turned onto State Route 35 and travelled along Flathead Lake on the left and the mountains on our right. There were cherry stands all along the road, unfortunately, cherry season had ended.

When we reached Glacier NP about 1:30, we decided to drive the South Loop from West Glacier to somewhere close to East Glacier. We crossed the Continental Divide at Maria's Pass and when we reached Summit, MT we retraced our path & headed back. The railroad paralleled our route. It was built in the1800's & was significant to the development of Glacier NP. We had 2 cabins in West Glacier at Apgar Village on the southwest edge of Lake McDonald. Dinner was gourmet at the Belton Lodge.

No phones, no TV, no internet. Welcome to the olden days. We did have indoor plumbing & hot water. Woke up to squirrels cutting pine cones, they fell on our metal roof & it sounded like we were in a war zone!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Southern edge of Glacier NPSouthern edge of Glacier NP
Southern edge of Glacier NP

Railroad in the foreground.


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb