Day 7 of 21 - Job 39:8 The range of the mountains is his pasture, And he searches after every green thing.


Advertisement
Published: July 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We tried to get out the door again early, but couldn't quite get it together until 9:30 but we still made it into Glacier National Park and to our first trailhead in plenty of time. We stopped at Avalanche Trail and took the Trail to the Cedars to Avalanche Lake. It was a 2.7 mile each way hike with a 500 foot gain in elevation (so mostly uphill in the way there) but the hike was well worth it as Avalanche Lake was stunning with at least four waterfalls feeding into the lake from the huge glaciers above it. We also passed an amazing waterfall on the trail with turquoise water running through it! In fact all of the streams, rivers & lakes here have an crystal clear appearance that is the bluest blue we've ever seen outside of Hawaii!

After our almost 6 mile hike we were exhausted and starving so we woofed down our sandwiches and hit the Going To The Sun Road to take in the views of the glaciers, waterfalls, greenery, timber and hopefully spot some wildlife. We especially wanted to see bear, mountain goats, bighorn sheep, and moose! The road was very congested and some of the turns were so narrow that Jeff had to pull in his side rear view mirrors! Poor guy didn't get to take in much of the view as he was focusing on us staying safe. I snapped photos along the road and we pulled off a few times. The glaciers are truly something to see in person...magnificent!

When we got to Logan Pass we spotted our first Mountain Goat. He was just standing on the side of the road checking everyone out as they passed by! So cute! From there we made it to the end of the road and exited the park out the east gate then re-entered Many Glacier entrance just north to check out the scenery there as we were told that the wildlife viewing was more plentiful...apparently not..we didn't see a thing, did a short 1 mile loop hike near the Swiftcurrent Trailhead and quickly decided we better head back to let Roxy out of the trailer.

On the way back on the Going To The Sun Road at Logan Pass again, we were delighted with a herd of Bighorn Sheep! And again with some Mountain Goats...I guess this is where all the wildlife hang out!

We quickly needed to get back though as Rex had a pounding headache (probably from the altitude). We made it back by 6:30, let Roxy out and grilled our delicious steaks. After, everyone felt much better and we made s'mores and watched the rest of the movie they had started last night. Overall a pretty good day in Glacier National Park!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb