Day 8 of 21 - Luke 8:22 Now it happened, on a certain day, that He got into a boat with His disciples. And He said to them, "Let us cross over to the other side of the lake." And they launched out.


Advertisement
Published: July 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I can tell we are all settling into "vacation mode" as we keep sleeping longer and longer in the morning! We slowly got around and out the door to head into the park to do some kayaking. The drive into the park is seeming longer and longer so I'm thinking this may be the last time, even though its only 15 miles from our campground.

We launched our kayaks onto Lake McDonald at Lake McDonald Lodge. Then headed up the lake along the shoreline to find a spot of beach to picnic on. We don't have many pictures as we couldn't bring our good camera as it would get wet, but Ryan had his GoPro so most of the pictures were of the tip of the kayak and his hands paddling. The Lake is crystal blue, something that I learned is because of the the glaciers the way they grind the rocks it releases powdery minerals (called glacier flour) which makes the water deep blue and green. We landed on a secluded shoreline ate lunch and skipped rocks and then paddled back to our drop in spot. The boys did real good at paddling and did not complain one bit.

From there we headed to the West Glacier gift shop to do some souvenir shopping and then to our destination that we'd been eyeing since we got here... "Huckleberry Patch" in Hungry Horse, Montana! We shopped in their shop and got everything "huckleberry" from soap, to coffee, to taffy, to lemonade...they had it all! Then we ordered huckleberry milkshakes to gulp down and four slices of their famous huckleberry pie to go. We learned that huckleberries cannot be successfully grown commercially but must be harvested from the wild in alpine settings on the sides of mountains. They are a little like blueberries but smaller and sweeter.

When we got back to our campground we were almost too full for dinner so we ate a light dinner to save room for our huckleberry pie, yum yum!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb