Meet Me in St. Louis


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

LevyLevyLevy

As you can see the parking lot is under about 3 feet of water.
As a quasi grad school graduation gift to Axel, Laurie decided to take him for an exciting day in St. Louis. We started the day by strolling through some of the cute downtown neighborhood and checking out the flooding situation near the Arch. Because of the massive amount of rain and flooding, the parking area on the levy by the St. Louis arch was completely under water. It really brought home the impact of this natural disaster and its effect on all of the local farmers and homes.


The highlight of the day was the St. Louis City Museum http://www.citymuseum.org/home.asp .


Housed in the 600,000 square-foot former International Shoe Company, the museum is an eclectic mixture of children's playground, funhouse, surrealistic pavilion, and architectural marvel made out of unique, found objects. The brainchild of internationally acclaimed artist Bob Cassilly, a classically trained sculptor and serial entrepreneur, the museum opened for visitors in 1997 to the riotous approval of young and old alike.


Cassilly and his longtime crew of 20 artisans have constructed the museum from the very stuff of the city; and, as a result, it has urban roots deeper than any other institutions'. Reaching
Crawling Through the Belly of a WhaleCrawling Through the Belly of a WhaleCrawling Through the Belly of a Whale

We big kids tried to fit into all of the little kid places. Easier for Laurie than poor Axel who meaures in at 6'4"
no farther than municipal borders for its reclaimed building materials, CITY MUSEUM boasts features such as old chimneys, salvaged bridges, construction cranes, miles of tile, and even two abandoned planes!


During our visit, we crawled through air ducts, climbed our way up various ladders, grates and other contraptions and slid down some pretty awesome slides. It was great to feel like a kid again! The museum was flooded by children of all ages exploring every aspect of a building or house that one has ever considered “I wonder if I could go inside of that?” It was like the inner workings of a building with no rules!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Low Crawl!Low Crawl!
Low Crawl!

This one was a tight fit!
Bank VaultBank Vault
Bank Vault

We broke in and were a bit disappointed that there was no money...
Crazy maze to the castleCrazy maze to the castle
Crazy maze to the castle

Laurie got lost trying to get to the castle
ArchArch
Arch

Our last glimpse of the Arch before moving away. Laurie is still disappointed that one does not drive through it on I70.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb