American Legion Post #639 - Springfield, MO


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Springfield
June 14th 2011
Published: June 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

2660 South Scenic Ave.
Springfield, MO 65807

6-11-2011

The first stop of the day was at the home of the American Legion Post #639. Luckily we got there fairly early as there appeared to be a Volkswagen vehicle show taking place at the Post. I had planned the drive to Springfield around photographing the UH-1H and the AH-1G dedicated to the Vietnam veterans, but there was a surprise. Pulling in to the parking lot the first thing I noticed was the USS Lapon’s sail. The USS Lapon (SSN-661) was decommissioned in 1992 after serving with the Atlantic Fleet.
The USS Lapon earned several citations and medals including a Presidential Unit Citation, six Meritorious Unit Citations, and an Artic Service Metal. One mission of the Lapon was chronicled in the book “Blind Man’s Bluff.”
The sail was relocated to the American Legion Post #639 in 2005. You can find more information about supporting the work being done by visiting http://www.usslapon.com
The UH-1H SN #69-15051 served in the Vietnam War. As a med-evac unit this helicopter was probably responsible for saving many lives. I was glad to see the American Legion Post posted the history of both helicopters on their website.
The AH-1G was fitted with a combat configuration that would have been used during the Vietnam War. Serial #71-21016 was dedicated in 1994 and had seen service from 1972 until 1992 with the Arkansas National Guard.
For me it is always humbling to visit these sites as they represent so many men and women that fought and gave the ultimate sacrifice. They are not just helicopters sitting on beams, they are a memorial and if you stand quietly you can hear and feel the echoes of the past emanating from them. Every time I photograph and write about these helicopters I try my best to do justice to the memories that they represent.
If you find yourself in Springfield, MO stop by and pay your respects.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb