Carona Train Depot & Railroad Museum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas
May 31st 2011
Published: June 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A small jewel that I came across in Southeast Kansas was the Carona Depot and Railroad Museum. I had read on a few other blogs about a train depot somewhere around Scammon, Kansas but could not find a webpage for it. Luckily there were a few signs directing us where to go.

Though technically the place was not open for the season yet, the gentleman was extremely kind to unlock the various buildings and give us a guided tour. He took the time to explain the equipment and history and even invited Kim and Connor to try out certain displays, such as the phone that was a distant relative to our cell phones.

Through two 1880s depot buildings and amongst the train engine and cars that was present the gentleman explained how the museum came to possess every display and the history behind most everything we were shown.

The museum building holds the Downes Collection, which consist of hand-made wooden models of locomotives. The detail exhibited in these trains is inspiring. I can only imagine the dedication and time that was required to administer such detail.

All in all there is a ton of railroad history to learn at the Carona Depot and Railroad Museum. The gentleman we talked to and who lead us through the property was full of information and made special effort to include the kids in everything he was talking about.

6769 Northwest 20th
Scammon, KS 66773





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb