Gettin' Our Kicks on Route 66


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Saint Louis
July 22nd 2016
Published: July 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

LockportLockportLockport

Jim and Mike
Jim, Mike and I met up at Jackie's Pub in historic downtown Lockport, an old I & M Canal town. We stopped at a gas station to top off the tanks and get a cup of coffee before starting down the road.



We are taking as much of the old historic US 66 roads as possible down to St. Louis. IL Route 53 is the Old 66 for about a third of the way through Illinois, so we headed south on 53 into the old historic downtown of Joliet, IL. We made a stop in Wilmington about 30 miles south of Lockport to see some US 66 kitsch, the Gemini Giant. This statue is at the old Launching Pad restaurant. Old Route 66 parallels it's replacement, I-55 pretty much all the way to St. Louis. The only time we rode interstates was when we were bypassing pretty large towns.



We then stopped in the little town of Odell, which has a 1930's Standard gas station. It's one of the cooler spots along the northern part of US 66. After the mandatory photos there, we rode down to Lincoln, IL looking for a lunch stop. We
NawtonNawtonNawton

And his trusty steed.
found a nice bar that served sandwiches, called Alley-bi's. It was awful good to get inside an air conditioned place since the temps and humidity were both in the 90's. We stopped fairly often and drank a lot of water and it really wasn't that bad to deal with.



The riding was very enjoyable on the mostly two lane roads. Jim had booked us rooms at the Chase hotel in St. Louis which is a beautiful, historic hotel. After checking in and settling into our rooms, we walked a block to a very nice restaurant district and chose Gamlin's Whiskey House. They had many, many different whiskeys and we enjoyed an excellent meal there.



Tomorrow we head down to Jim's cabin in Heber Springs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Gettin' CaffeinatedGettin' Caffeinated
Gettin' Caffeinated

Before the ride.
Gemini GiantGemini Giant
Gemini Giant

Wilmington, IL. On of the many kitschy things you can see on Old 66.
Gemini GiantGemini Giant
Gemini Giant

Wilmington, IL
Gemini GiantGemini Giant
Gemini Giant

Wilmington, IL
Old Standard StationOld Standard Station
Old Standard Station

Circa 1930's in Odell, IL.
Old US 66 PavementOld US 66 Pavement
Old US 66 Pavement

Just south of Odell, IL. This pavement is from the 1930's.
Meramec Caverns Meramec Caverns
Meramec Caverns

If you look closely, you can see the old ad for Maramec Caverns painted on the barn. They had these all along the road back in the day.
Cool Falstaff SignCool Falstaff Sign
Cool Falstaff Sign

At our lunch stop in Lincoln, IL. The place was caled Alley-Bi's.


24th July 2016

Looks like a fun guys trip so far ! If you need any help with directions let me know .
24th July 2016
Towanda, IL

Route 66
So historic
25th July 2016

Love to see the Route 66 places! I remember stopping at the Standard Station a few years ago.
25th July 2016

Love those smiles at Gamlin's Whiskey House!!
26th July 2016
Nawton

Nawton
Great picture! Name fits perfectly! He's got the laugh!

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 34; dbt: 0.1106s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb