Honey drippin honey from the holler in Kentucky, getcha flippin kinda trippy like a Mississippi hippie


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Saint Louis
June 18th 2011
Published: June 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Driving into the home of country roots and bars late at night from Memphis was something else, and pretty exciting to be there, although there aren't as many "rednecks" as the movies in Hollywood would let you think and so far we haven't really come across any of the sort. People are super friendly down south and I could sit forever listening to that "Southern Draw", oh and being country music lovers it's nice to blare the likes of Jason Aldean, Alan Jackson and Brooks and Dunn only to gain nods of approval rather than strange looks you would get in Melbourne. That night we stayed with the Winnett family- Tom, Beth and two gorgeous kittens.
We really enjoyed staying with them and the first night even though we arrived late they bought out all their brochures and we went through them looking at things to do in the area and off the beaten path as well. (Local knowledge rocks).
One thing about Tom and Beth is that they are super keen morning people, I heard them get up at 4.30am, I have never experienced this before and we were a little taken aback- I will never get up at that time unless there is an urgent reason i.e the house is burning down. Had to share this little piece of info with you all as I have never known a human being to arise naturally at such an ungodly hour.
So we got up at 6am and planned our day out to go and see the local forest and lake called Radnor which was preserved by Nashville in the last century and before the worry of conservation ever existed, it is such a nice area that is beaming with wildlife and has some great tracks to go along, but when they said if you don't like bugs don't go down to the Southern States they weren't lying, SO many bugs you can't help but become slightly paranoid that they are on you every step you take.
There were deer amongst the trees, little bush mice, squirrels, chipmunks, turtles and birds. The animals are so different to Australia and getting excited by a chipmunk probably has many Americans taken aback, OK so they have them in Canada and i'm probably the only one that gets excited- they are probably the American possum equivalent.
Downtown is super clean and full of businessmen by day and lights and cowboys by night. There are tonnes of bars and Jack Daniels is everywhere to be seen, amongst some of the tackiest gifts you'll ever see (Every city has them, and most tourists can't resist but to buy things too). The buses were free which is always nice, and the Farmer's market smelt so good, with real fresh fruit and vegetables (A lot of the time that can seem rare to find here).
Tom whipped up killer homemade pizza that night and made some delicious vegan versions which was great, and even had home made pesto that Bryce says he probably would've eaten even if it were on a fat man's ass- That good. Amen.
Ok so the night only gets better, tired as we are we decide to play old couple and head of to the local movie theater where you wouldn't believe- movies are exactly $1.50 each EVERY night of the week, and all you can eat popcorn for the two of us was $4, now if that isn't part of the American dream please tell me what is, there are lots of bargains in the U.S.
We saw Hanna, a kind of strange movie about a girl raised as an emotionless, strong fighter who kicks ass, and i'd have to say we got our $1.50 worth.
We didn't really do to much in Nashville, and we left the next day on to St. Louis, and driving into this city it became clear that it is the biggest and best city we have seen so far.
Oh and the thunderstorm was just what we needed, rain hail and lightning it definitely cooled the car down and gave us some hope of a tornado. But apparently the season is over but I still have hopes- Tornado Alley- how about it?!
May is the best time to see them so it looks like we are shit out of luck, however on the rare occasion they do appear.
It was lucky for us we had a host in St. Louis as well, even being so last minute we managed to get somewhere in the heart of the city near the botanical gardens.
We are staying with a guy from Columbia, who has also lived in the UK, Portugal and now St. Louis...and boy does this guy have a few stories to tell.
Showing us gun wounds from being shot three times- one through the chest and through both legs, only to walk Columbus' highest mountain three months later was pretty inspirational and that was only the beginning of his adventures.
He told us all about the things to do here, and surprisingly most are free which is always bonus if you're road tripping or back packing your way around.
The Zoo is free and possible one of the best we've ever seen, museums are free which we are yet to go to and there are public gardens everywhere. Anything that does cost money like the riverboats are almost next to nothing in cost as well which is great.
The problem of trying to find vegan friendly food however is not easy at all and beginning to wear my patience thin on this trip- Americans seem to live of Dairy, Meat and Carbs. It's really hard trying to find fresh food in restaurants and supermarkets in some spots and can be incredibly frustrating at times.
Stay tuned- more to come tonight and tomorrow,

Signing out

Tarryn and Bryce






Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb