Kansas City and The American Idols


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Kansas City
August 30th 2009
Published: September 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sprint Center, KC Sprint Center, KC Sprint Center, KC

Outside the Sprint Center, AI here we come!
TGAIO - Thank Goodness August is Over!

August has been a busy travel month. It started with Caribana Festival/Parade in Toronto Canada , then
the Iowa State Fair, WW II Honor Flights and ending the month with the American Idol concert in Kansas City. More later on the State Fair and Honor Flights.

Some background, I must confess that I’m a TV junkie with news and reality competing for my attention and at times, my reality shows overshadows my love for politics and the daily scandal/murder and so forth. This occurs in the winter when American Idol (AI) captures my attention, January to May. I’ve been watching the show religiously since season two and in the last two years, AI stepped up the show by allowing the talent to play instruments. I believe this is why the show has really gotten better, never mind the ratings. Singing is one thing, but playing the piano/keyboard/drums, guitar magnifies their persona/talent and gets the contestants to the next level.

This season brought mixed feelings as the season unfolded. First I loved Anoop, disliked Adam, did not notice Allison-Kris-Matt G. and loved Danny. The top ten went down like this:

Adam LambertAdam LambertAdam Lambert

Mr. Showman himself, Adam Lambert, he Rocked the Sprint Center

10. Michael- oil rig worker
9. Megan- we call “sleeve tattoo girl”
8. Scott- impaired vision and a natural talent on the piano
7. Lil Rounds- soulful, just did not find her place on the show
6. Anoop- Indian college guy from NC that can really sing
5. Matt- 'hat man" smooth voice, plays piano and sang “You Found Me” by the Fray
4. Allison- rocker teen that can sing and play the guitar
3. Danny- man with 101 glasses, losing his wife to illness a month before the show
2. Adam- punk rocker that blew the other contestants out of the water week after week
1. Kris- plays the guitar and peaked at the right time

During the season, I watched weekly either by myself or with buddy Judy. So when the season ended, Felicia (AI and drakesmart buddy) sent me a note saying “AI is coming to KC (Kansas City) in August, what to go?” After a few minutes, why not see this awesome group in person. Judy was on board and so was our KC buddy Molly. As we say, “book it Dano” and four tickets purchased for Sunday, August 30, 2009.


Concert day
The Girls At The Sprint CenterThe Girls At The Sprint CenterThe Girls At The Sprint Center

Felicia, Judy, Molly and Ann at The American Idol Concert
breakdown:
My sweet ride, Felicia and I met up at the McDonalds on Mills Civic Parkway at 9 am. Felicia’s parents did the drop-off (sounds like we were doing a drug deal), coffee and gas and we were off to KC via our three hour ride. We chatted all the way down and it was a great day for a summer drive.

First stop, TJ Max in Liberty for a return and purchase. I love to buy three items and return two. Made it to KC at 12:15 to meet up with two dear friends and drakesmart buddies, Natalie and Lex. They were waiting for us so off we went to the City Market for nothing in particular, but it’s a nice market. I purchased $1.00 worth of hot peppers and fell flat on my face for no good reason. Picture the matrix in slow motion. No injuries other than my ego and crushed the face of my watch. Since this was a freebie watch, Lex said “not to worry”.

Next, lunch at the Cheesecake Factory and some shopping at Crate and Barrel and Williams Sonoma. Nothing beats cheesecake at the Factory. I had my usual kaulah coffee
Pre-Show DinnerPre-Show DinnerPre-Show Dinner

Judy shows off her dinner
cheesecake. Then off to meet-up with Judy and Molly at her KC home in Leawood. By this time, they were ready for an early dinner to celebrate Molly’s birthday and ugh..we just ate a late lunch.

Off we went to the Sprint Center for dinner in the Power & Light district. While they ate dinner, we relaxed with drinks. Okay, diet coke for me, wine for Felicia.

At 6:30 pm we walked across the street to the Sprint Center, which is much like the Qwest Center in Omaha and Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, and found our seats in section 104. While our seats was in the second tier, we had no one behind us. Sweet, no one to block during the show. The show started at 7:07, seven minutes late. That gave us time to assess the crowd. Here’s what was surprising about the demographics of the audience; 75% full, as young as 7 and as aged as 75 or as I like to say “seasoned citizens”. The crowd was loud and got louder as we got closer to Danny, Adam and Kris. This is going to be an awesome concert. Boy, I feel like a
Top 6Top 6Top 6

Group number by the TOP 6
schoolgirl!

Show Breakdown

Michael began the show singing "I Just Want A Girl" (Gavin DeGraw). Much better than the season and he looked terrific. Megan wore a hot pink outfit showing her tattoos (which are awesome), but what was up with her hair in a Mohawk? She sang Corrine Bailey Rae's "Put Your Records On," and her second song was "Tears Dry on Their Own". Two down eight to go.

Lights out then Scott came out of an opening on the floor playing the piano. He sang "1000 Miles" by Michele Branch. Then it was Lil Rounds turn singing "No One" by Alica Keys and "Single Ladies" by Beyonce. She was actually very good with both songs.

Then my man Anoop and Matt G. Anoop sang "My Prerogative" and "Always On My Mind" and Matt sang "Georgia, Hard to Handle" and "You Found Me" while playing the piano and sporting his famous hat. They were both great, Matt more than Anoop. I had to say that!

Then the top six did a couple of group numbers that were good but as Simon would say, not memorable.

After a 20 minute intermission, the show began
Danny G. singing PYTDanny G. singing PYTDanny G. singing PYT

Danny rockin the crowd with Pretty Young Thing
with Allison. She is an old soul in a young girls body. She opened with "So What" by Pink then did an Amy Winehouse song and then "Barracuda". She was amazing, as usual.

It was Danny's turn singing "Pretty Young Thing and Maria Maria" while doing some salsa dancing. He was smooth while being hot. He ended with a Rascal Flatts song but I swore it was a Keith Urban song. Here's a recap of Anoop to Danny, .

By this time, the crowd is going wild and on their feet, lights blazing and the countdown begins for Adam Lambert. You either love him or hate him…tell me why you hate him..oh it’s because is so darn good!

So here’s Adam with his rendition of "Whole Lotta Love" and saying he was FANTASTIC would be an an understatement. Then came "Starlight" by the Muse (new song to me) then "Mad World" by Tears For Fears. This is his song now and what a great job by Adam. Yes, he should of won AI, but he’s much better off as runner up. Adam can be his own person, doing his own thing without worrying about the AI brand.
Kris Is The American IdolKris Is The American IdolKris Is The American Idol

Kris singing Heartless, the crowd went WILD
He will do more than well going forward. And yes, I'm an Adam Lambert convert. See it to believe it here .

Finally here come Kris..the 2009 AI winner.
He sings and he plays. First up is "Heartless", his own version and he is nothing but awesome. He too has the ability to bring a song to life. He also sang "Hey Jude" and a song from the Killers. Yes Adam overshadowed Kris but Kris is a awesome musician and singer and he will do well too. Here's a clip I made of Kris
.

As the show closes, it's now 10 pm, Scott and Matt G. are on the piano playing "Don’t Stop Believing" by Journey with all the AI gang coming on stage. What can I say, terrific concert and well worth the trip to KC.
. I'll close by saying:
Ticket to the AI concert - $65
Gas - $50
Meals - $25
Girl talk, girl friends, dancing - PRICELESS

And yes, Stella got her groove on. I was on my feet 75%!o(MISSING)f the time and I danced the night away.

Above The Best

Ann Anhalt



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The CrowdThe Crowd
The Crowd

Almost a packed house at The Sprint Center
Adam Lambert Mad WorldAdam Lambert Mad World
Adam Lambert Mad World

Adam singing Mad World and the crowd went WILD
Matt and ScottMatt and Scott
Matt and Scott

Dueling Pianos by Matt and Scott
Matt GMatt G
Matt G

Matt singing You Found Me was AWESOME
AI ConcertAI Concert
AI Concert

The crowd enjoying the show
Pre-Show Dinner 2Pre-Show Dinner 2
Pre-Show Dinner 2

Molly sports her dinner too
Toes by Ann and LexToes by Ann and Lex
Toes by Ann and Lex

Girls gotta have fun with their toenail polish
Lex and NatLex and Nat
Lex and Nat

Lex and Nat at The Cheesecake Factory
Ann & FeliciaAnn & Felicia
Ann & Felicia

Ann & Felicia at Cheesecake Factory


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb