Forrest City, Arkansas to Vicksburg, Miss.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi
June 24th 2011
Published: July 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

June 24 Friday - Morning
Up drinking my tea and doing a little homework while thinking things over. The plan for today is to head directly south on Hwy 1 out of Forrest City Arkansas and head down Scenic Route 1 through The Francis National Forest in Arkansas and cross over into Mississippi at Helena. Then alongside the river in Mississippi on Hwy 1 to Vicksburg. About 200 miles but on slow back roads. I hope they are still there after the flood. I guess I will find out.


Vicksburg
Arrived in Vicksburg about 5 PM after a long drive on back roads. I took the scenic route to Vicksburg and it took me from about 10 AM till 5 Pm with a short break for lunch. That is about a 7 hour drive for 232 miles. Still it was nice not to be surrounded by 18 wheelers like I was on I 40.
I had intended to have a look around but it was seriously hot and so I just went to my room and took it easy the rest of the day. I decided I would stay another day here and rest up a bit for the last legs home. Tomorrow I am planning on seeing if the murals and the casinos survived the flood and trying out the Fiesta plate at Solly's Hot tomale's while it is still not so hot, and then coming back to my room in the hot part of the day and catch up on my blogs. It's possible I will stay another day in Vicksburg as well but we will see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Motel 6 - VicksburgMotel 6 - Vicksburg
Motel 6 - Vicksburg

I stayed at the same Motel 6 that I stayed at on the way East. The one by the battlefield.
WatermarkWatermark
Watermark

You can see the watermark from the recent flood. The Murals are on the other side of this floodwall.
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

Water park for children in adjacent park to the murals.
gauges of past floodsgauges of past floods
gauges of past floods

This had the levels of recent floods on it. Notice the watermark for the recent floods is above all of them.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb