Vickburg


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi
November 3rd 2009
Published: December 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Vickburg


There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it.
Charles Dudley Warner


Ulysses S. Grant's philosophy of war
Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can, and strike him as hard as you can. And keep moving on!




WEB SITES Click on the blue

Vickburg National Park
Vicksburg National Military Park



November 3, 2009, Tuesday, Vicksburg, Mississippi It was a long drive to Vicksburg National Military Park. From the beginning of the Civil War, control of the Mississippi River was of vital importance to the Federal Government. Command of that waterway would allow uninterrupted passage of Union troops and supplies into the South and have the desired effect of isolating the States of TX, AR, and most of LO.
Vicksburg was called the Citadel of the South. Grant used ironclad warships. The battle was bitter and bloody and was ultimately a city under siege.
We tried to follow the tour on bike, but the steep rolling hills proved to be too much. So we biked and pushed for a couple of hours along the battlefield markers.
We spent the night in Vicksburg.
November 4, 2009, Wednesday We returned to Vicksburg Mil. Park and drove the rest of the way around. The stop at Cairo Museum was an interesting one; it contains a reconstructed ironclad gunboat that was sunk and then raised up from the Mississippi in 1960. The museum displays lots of original items salvaged. It was the first boat sunk by an electrically detonated mine, however not one life was lost.
We walked for a while through the national cemetery, where only Union soldiers were buried. The vast number of tombstones is sad… and this is only half of the fallen soldiers.
In the PM we walked around the Old Town of Vicksburg, passing many old mansions, the Mississippi Mural Walk, etc. For dinner Bob had a southern Bar-b-que meal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

MemorialMemorial
Memorial

Each state that had men involved in the battle erected these.


6th December 2009

Belated greetings!
You two are wearing me out! Hoe many miles have you logged thus far? Maureen, belated Birthday wishes - and all the best for a wonderful year. Hope you both had a great Thanksgiving. We leave for Sedona on 12/15, return 12/25. Seymour has job interview at Northern Arizona Univ. and, although we DO have an offer on the house, it's a contingency - so we can't buy in AZ yet. Our realtors are having another Open House on 12/13 - so we're still keeping a "model home". Safe traveling - blessings and peace, judy

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb