Camden State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota
October 22nd 2016
Published: June 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.3465, -95.9219

Our last camping trip of the season during MEA week was at Camden State Park. Just about 3 hrs from home. We arrived around late afternoon. Our campsite was in the upper campground on site 58e. We called ahead and found that the upper campground had service and not the lower. Our site was just near the prairie trail and the Hwy (23). So you could hear the traffic from the highway. A little disappointment. The other disappointment was the fall colors. Most of the leaves had already fallen during our stay. Although it was fun to walk through the pile of leaves and hear the crackling of the leaves, the photo opportunities were lacking.

Wednesday we drove around the park after setting up camp. The campground had a natural spring swimming area that we went to check out. Took a few pics of swimming area and bridge leading to group camp. No fire that evening, we headed into Marshall (nothing in the town of Lynd) to visit the locals at The Gambler bar. After all it was hump day which is our usual night out. College girls were bartender. We soon found out Marshall was a college (Southwest Minnesota State University- The Mustangs). We had some food and drinks and watched some of the local bar flies. Later we visited with the owner Tom. We learned you can't take anything seriously out of his mouth-funny, sarcastic guy. Pretty quiet night at the Gambler. Our evening ended around 12:00 when we headed back to camp.

Thursday after breakfast and sleeping in, we hit the hiking trails to find the password. Nice trails along the river valley. Even some small waterfalls coming down. Parts of the trail was also in the prairie. Again, lacking in color and photo ops. It was resting/nap time after hiking. A chilly night for a fire so we headed back to The Gambler. Met another couple there that was there the previous night. Fun to chat with. Had some pizza. Called it an earlier night when the college kids started rolling in around 9:30-10.

Friday we relaxed in the morning getting our internet in. I heard there was a Goodwill in town and Jeff found a Hardee's so we ventured back to Marshall. After some shopping we did some more hiking. Some relaxation time before dinner and a fire for the evening. Nice night for a fire.

A railroad passes through this State Park so during our stay we would hear a train pass with its whistle blowing about 2-3 times per day including at night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Bridge in parkBridge in park
Bridge in park

snowmobile trails in this park also
Scenic OverlookScenic Overlook
Scenic Overlook

Not the best when we went. Winds had made most of leaves fall.


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb