More from Lake Owassa


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota » St. Paul
September 25th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Car Hop drive inCar Hop drive inCar Hop drive in

Murt took me for root beer and milk shake to this nearby drive in restaurant where you order food from the car and they bring it on a tray to the window. No wonder everyone here puts on weight. We also went to a doughnut and coffee centre fro breakfast and of course are having hot dogs at the baseball tonight. I feel like making fruit salad!
Day 89- Thursday

Yesterday was the first day when we needed a jacket...it is definitely getting cooler. But there are many more stages to come. I would love to come back in the real winter. It sounds amazing here. The lakes freeze over and of course everyone skates and does cross country skiing around the city. In due course the lakes become so frozen that the local newspaper announces that it is OK to drive your car on the lake. In addition, people put little huts out there so they can do lake fishing after cutting a hole in the ice.

Today was a bit warmer. Murt took Nora and me to the Mall of America for actual shopping. Not only are things in genreral here cheaper to buy but in Minnesota there is no state tax on clothes so they are even cheaper. Make up too is much cheaper. So we had fun buying and trying!

In the evening Connie had booked tickets for us to go to the theatre. We hoped to go to a musical production of "Little House on the Prarie" which is a product of this region, but it was booked out, so instead we went to Arthur Miller's "View from the Bridge"..It is amazing that even here in the provinces the stars are famous names...John Carroll Lynch who was in Fargo and Face/Off and countless other movies, and Amy Van Nostrand, who has been in Frasier, LA Law, !

Friday evening we are off to the baseball. One of Connie's sisters won the honour of 10 family members singing "Take me out to the BAllgame" at half time on the platform. Needless to say there is much discussion about who the ten will be! And then on Thursday as we were driving home from the theatre the Minnesota Twins team beat Chicago in a home game to put the twins in first place in the comp so everyone is madly excited. Baseball is taken very seriously all over the states. I guess because it is done on the basis of home town teams. Everyone is interested and informed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0948s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb