mid road trip2010


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan
August 7th 2010
Published: August 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We finally left Hideaway resort in Pequot lakes, Minnesota. It was late morning before we got out of there. We both hated to leave the place. Log cabins over looking the lake and people we consider good friends, that own the resort, why leave. We went up to Duluth, and crossed over into Wisconsin, where we started following the Great Lakes circle tour. This is a well marked, very scenic, route around the Great Lakes through Wisconsin, and Michigan.

Our first night was in a nice campground in Iron River, Michigan. There were a lot of beautiful birds at the bird feeder next door to our site. We really enjoyed watching them. We followed route two across Northern Michigan, viewing light houses, and nice beach areas, before stopping at a really great RV park right on the Lake. The owner told us to take all the fire wood we needed, at no charge. Needless to say, we had a great fire that night. When the fire went down, we laid back in our chairs and enjoyed the great night show put on by the stars, The Milky Way was superb . Bright, and very easy to see. The breeze off the lake was cool so we did not need air conditioning. After crossing the Mackinac Bridge, we traveled south to a really great camp ground called Leisure Lakes. It is on a private lake, and a fishing license is not required. I will have to try it next time we stop there. We are marking places we want to stop at in the future. This is definitely one of them. We took a secondary road, which I am inclined to do whenever possible, through southern Michigan. We passed through many quaint little midwestern towns with some very pretty, many restored, older homes. We caught the Ohio Turnpike, which offered nothing special, as far as scenery etc. We stayed at a KOA just off the turnpike. A nice park, but nothing to write home about.

Leaving the Turnpike, we took route 5, and 20, across New York, on the shores of Lake Erie. Finally we got into the Adirondacks. We took route 30 north, labled an Adirondack scenic byway. We viewed many pretty lakes, mountains, and towns on this road. A little more than halfway up the scenic byway,we stopped at a really great campground, named Thornbush Acres in Indian Lake, New York. this was a really pretty place, with lots of night sounds, tree frogs, crickets, and more. They told us to take what we needed for firewood, no charge. They came down read the electric meter for the night. Our total bill was $21.20. $1.20 was for the electric use. This was the first place we ever paid for in the morning, when leaving. Otherwise, how could they charge for the electric???? Most places try to get in your wallet before you get there I found this kind of refreshing!

We are looking forward to many more great scenic vistas on the rest of this scenic byway. We hope to get into Vermont before we stop again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb