Travel day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Romulus
March 26th 2016
Published: April 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Well, spring break 2016 gave us some trouble. We had planned on a trip to Buenos Aires. Unfortunately, everyone else did too. The flights became full early on. However, it is a good thing. We would have left on March 23, and the next day, Argentina would eliminate the $160 reciprocity fee for American Citizens. The full flights saved us $480!!!

Our next plan was to go to Seoul. We had been, but just for a 24 hour stop over, and it was not even close to enough. We wanted to see more. The flight loads looked good, and I was sure they would hold, with all the threats coming from the neighbor to the North. They did not hold though, and about a week out, we had to make new plans.

Now it was going to be either Curitiba, Bucharest, or Vienna.

We chose Vienna a few days before the actual trip. We had also planned to see Bratislava, but with only 4 days over there, we decided to stay in Vienna.

Our original flight plan was to fly from Detroit to Frankfurt, and then connect to Vienna on Austrian airlines. However, when we were in Detroit, I saw that they had subbed a 747-400 on an Amsterdam flight in order to add lift for the passengers stranded in Belgium. I had never been on our 747, and my daughter really wanted to fly on one as well. They are retiring ours within one year, so time was short. Two hours before flight time, we switched to Amsterdam, and I purchased discount tickets on KLM to Vienna.

On Saturday March 26, we left Indianapolis at 10:15am on Delta 3802. It was a CRJ-900 aircraft, and I was in economy comfort seat 7A. Once at Detroit airport, we had some lunch. We had several hours here and so we just sat around and people watched. At 6:19pm, We departed on Delta flight 134 to Amsterdam. We cleared for business class, and I was in seat 9K. It was on the lower deck of the 747-400 aircraft. The flight crew were all awesome and attentive. I had a pasta meal that was good, but the appetizers of candied bacon and smoked trout were even better. I had my usual gin and tonics to drink. We had a good tail wind, and the flight took only 6 hours and 30 minutes, so I did not sleep much. Arrival into rainy Amsterdam was quick and easy. We just went to our gate and waited for our flight to Vienna. It was on KLM flight 1845. We departed at 11:45am on the 737-700 aircraft, and I was in economy seat 12A. After a smooth hour and a half flight, we landed in sunny Vienna.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb