Tahquamenon Falls State Park Rivermouth Campgrounds


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Paradise
September 5th 2022
Published: February 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

This campground was located right next to the Tahquamenon River. The first night we drove up to the Whitefish Point lighthouse and saw the Northern Lights off of Lake Superior. There are two beautiful but separate waterfalls. The water is amber color like root beer due to the tannic acid of the hemlock trees. We tried to bike a local foot trail but had to turn around after it became too difficult to traverse. Our camphosts, John and Karin (from Texas) and camp neighbors Holly and Jodie (from Michigan) were delightful neighbors.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Whitefish Point LighthouseWhitefish Point Lighthouse
Whitefish Point Lighthouse

The oldest operating lighthouse on Lake Superior, it was established in 1849. It is located at a critical turning point for vessels entering and leaving Lake Superior.
Great Lakes Shipwreck MuseumGreat Lakes Shipwreck Museum
Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum

The museum educates visitors on the perils of maritime transport on the Great Lakes. The Whitefish Point Light Station is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Sunset on Lake SuperiorSunset on Lake Superior
Sunset on Lake Superior

A beautiful sunset as we settled in to wait for the Northern Lights. People were out on the beach with blacklights looking for Yooperlites. These are granite like rocks rich with flourescent sodalite that gloves vibrant orange and yellow under ultraviolet light. Our next trip to the UP we will bring a blacklight.
Northern LightsNorthern Lights
Northern Lights

We had heard the conditions were right for possible viewing of the Northern Lights over the Labor Day weekend. We headed up to Whitefish Point and arrived at the end of sunset. Sunset itself was beautiful. About 30 minutes after sunset we began to see white streaks across the sky. The phones captured the colors our eyes did not see.
Northern LightsNorthern Lights
Northern Lights

Still want to see the Northern Lights in Alaska or perhaps Iceland, but we can at least say we have seen them.
Lower Tahquamenon FallsLower Tahquamenon Falls
Lower Tahquamenon Falls

There was construction of a new gift shop and bathrooms underway when we visited. Will be a nice addition to the area.
Viewing platformViewing platform
Viewing platform

You can feel the mist from the falls as you stand on the viewing platform. The brown color comes from the tannic acid from decomposing cedar, hemlock, and spruce forests found in the drainage basin.
Tahquamenon RiverTahquamenon River
Tahquamenon River

View of the river above the lower falls. Seems like it would be fun to canoe or kayak.
Lower FallsLower Falls
Lower Falls

Loved the sound of the water rushing over the falls. So powerful and beautiful!
Rootbeer foamRootbeer foam
Rootbeer foam

Three natural factors give rise to the foamy appearance at the base of the falls: Soft water + organic material + turbulence = Foam.
islandisland
island

There is a small island in the river where the river splits. There is a bridge to the island. Several spots on the island trail get you right next to the water. Mike could not resist getting out on the rocks.
DuckedDucked
Ducked

We came back to the Jeep after viewing the Lower Falls and found we had been "ducked". If someone likes your Jeep, they leave a small rubber duck on the driver door handle. Meant to pass on positive vibes.
Upper Tahquamenon FallsUpper Tahquamenon Falls
Upper Tahquamenon Falls

The falls drop about 50 feet and is more than 200 feet across. During peak flow, usually in April, over 50,000 gallons per second can flow over the falls.
Viewing platform at Upper FallsViewing platform at Upper Falls
Viewing platform at Upper Falls

You can get close to the top of the falls on a viewing platform. You have to take stairs down to the viewing area. Worth the trek.
Upper FallsUpper Falls
Upper Falls

View from the trail leading to the falls.
Distant viewDistant view
Distant view

Still hear the rushing of the water from this vantage point.
Relaxing dayRelaxing day
Relaxing day

Loved the day hanging out at the campground and getting in some hiking, reading, and a campfire. Enjoyed sharing it several nights with Holly & Jodie and Karin & John. So fun to meet people along the journey!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb