Getting Started


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Kalamazoo
July 25th 2021
Published: July 25th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Let’s Get This Show On The RoadLet’s Get This Show On The RoadLet’s Get This Show On The Road

Lobby of the Air Zoo Museum. We had just gotten to the museum and bought our tickets. I planned to document our trip, but then promptly forgot to take anymore pictures.
Okay. So I don’t know how to blog!!!

Apparently creating a new ”Trip” doesn’t do anything. I just realized that all of my previous blog entries (entries I added for trips such as Destin and Buffalo River) have been added onto the end of my original blog for my and Elizabeth’s trip to Europe. Worse, I can’t figure out how to do anything else…

So, I am going to just keep doing it the wrong way and hopefully everyone can at least se some pics.

The trip actually started on Wednesday July 21st. We drove two days to get to Kalamazoo, MI so that Friday morning we could go over to the Air Zoo Aerospace and Science Museum to see, among their regular exhibits, a WW II B-29 Superfortress named Doc.

Doc was great to see, but being allowed inside the restoration shop was probably the most fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Is This Line Moving?Is This Line Moving?
Is This Line Moving?

Seriously, it wasn’t too hot, we had a nice breeze, and the line moved fast enough. Each group was limited to 4 or 5 people due to the confined space inside and the fact that we had an actual crewman showing us around and answering questions.
DocDoc
Doc

Tour starts by climbing up ladder (not this one) in forward bomb bay and entering flightdeck through bulkhead door. This picture is the ladder down at out of the flightdeck through the nosewheel compartment. I had just gotten out and I’m waiting for Dad and John to climb down.
Quite ImpressiveQuite Impressive
Quite Impressive

We also found out that the ball turret guns were remote controlled, unlike other WWII planes like the B-17.
SR-71 Being RestoredSR-71 Being Restored
SR-71 Being Restored

This is actually in the restoration shop. After we got over to the real museum I forgot to take anymore pictures! ?
Note the Round Framework in the BackNote the Round Framework in the Back
Note the Round Framework in the Back

That ring is actually a jig to hold the fuselage of a Grumman Wildcat together while they rebuild/remake it. We talked to one of the restorators, retired Boeing guy, who showed us all kinds of neat stuff.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb