Fiddlers' and Pickers' Jamboree


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Charlevoix
January 13th 2013
Published: January 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well friends, Ava and I are missing church this morning. Usually, the end of January would bring snow days here in Boyne Falls, but today we have an ice day. Not only are the roads covered with a glassy sheen of death, but the dogs can barely walk on the slippery deck. Our young boxer doesn’t know how to walk on the ice and we are worried that he will break something out there.

My younger sister had a tough time walking to her car this morning on the ice. However, she still attempted to drive and ended up in a ditch less than a mile from her home. My brother started up his four-wheel drive truck, and after scraping the ice off his windshield, pulled her out of the ditch and she continued on her journey to town. We are hoping she makes it!

The solution to this problem (for those of you not from Michigan) is to have country trucks spread a thin layer of ice and sand along the roads. Of course, there are a lot of roads and we country bumpkins are last priority.

The roads were clear yesterday and the weather was warm. Sunny days aren’t too common in Northern Michigan during the winter, and we Eastwood women were looking to get out for the day. So, we attended a Fiddlers’ a Pickers’ Jamboree in Charlevoix, Michigan. The jamboree was a fund-raiser for local music scholarships for area youth. Fiddling and picking are typically associated with places like West Virginia and Kentucky, but we Michiganders do our best to have a good time through these traditions as well.

The jamboree crowd was primarily an older crowd, but that didn’t stop them from dancing and having a good time. I am sure they were excited to have something like this in the winter, as jamborees are more common during the summer months when they can be held under large pavilions during summer festivals. Ava and Mema had a great time dancing. I danced a bit, but mostly listened to the music and chatted with those around us. Spirits were high and people were smiling. We stayed for a few hours, but the music and dancing lasted until 10 p.m. If you are ever have an opportunity to attend one of these events, definitely go and enjoy yourself with an open mind!

Videos:
">
,
">
, and ">
.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb