Hanging Out with Erin Cram


Advertisement
Published: August 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We flew to Boston on Saturday and Erin Cram (an old Lutheridge friend and daughter of Eileen) was waiting to pick us up. She was kind enough to drive me over to the Boston College bookstore to pick up a couple of books that I needed for my 2 week course on Christology. We enjoyed some exotic tacos and ice cream for lunch and then made our way back to her home near Cambridge for the night. We had enough time to go over to Harvard and show Andrew the Museum of Natural History. After that we enjoyed dinner at "Christopher's" - appropriately named I thought. Unfortunately, Erin's husband Doug was out of town, but we would get to see him on Friday instead. On Sunday morning Erin made us a delicious waffle breakfast and then we read for a while. I had to quickly catch up on my prerequisite reading assignments. We then went to church together at Erin and Doug's home church, University Lutheran near the Harvard campus. Attendance was down for the summer, but I was incredibly impressed with their choir and summer liturgy. I cherished the preaching and celebration of Eucharist as well. After church Erin helped us get our T passes for the week and then dropped us off at Boston College where we checked into our dorm room.

We saw Erin again on Tuesday when we were late for a tour at Northeastern University. Good thing too. Since she is a research professor there she knew how to catch up to the tour group and point out the buildings we missed.

And on Friday we got to see Doug after we took a tour of Harvard. He was kind enough to show Andrew the observatory (great view of Boston from up there), a classroom where he teaches, and the Physics building on campus. Andrew really likes space and science, so talking to Doug was a real treat. The four of us then had a most enjoyable pizza dinner and went to see the final Harry Potter movie together. It was great! I personally appreciated the resurrection theology depicted and Christocentric themes that can be found underneath the war between good and evil. It should be noted that Andrew and I got in trouble for seeing this movie without Janine and Katherine. I guess we will have to make it up to them somehow.

Thank you Lord God for our friends Erin and Doug and the warm hospitality they provided for us in Boston. According to Paul, such hospitality is a mark of Christianity and a blessing to the church. Watch over and keep Erin and Doug in your loving care. Amen.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb