Down the Mountain through the woods...


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Away we go!!Away we go!!Away we go!!

A fun day of mountain biking at Bousquet's Ski Area
Geo: 42.4474, -73.2542

Oh yeah, the adrenaline of riding a fancy mountain bike with disc brakes, down steep hills through the woods. While scary at times, mostly the sound of laughter could be heard as only guys will do as they narrowly miss running into trees at 20 miles an hour, or tumbling over huge rocks scattered throughout the course. While there were no real wipe outs, there were quite a few of those moments that, for a split second, we felt like we had no control over what was going to happen next. Today we went mountain biking at the Bousquet Ski area. During the summer, the local ski areas provider more summer appropriate activity. Here we were able to play on the newly developed down hill mountain biking course that opened for the first time this year. Basically, you are able to ride a lift up the mountain, with your bike attached, and ride the trails through the woods on the way down. Some of you may have already seen the short video I uploaded of Alex nearly missing the trees. I can assure you, the hill he was coming down was a lot worse that it looks on the video. Fortunately, we made it through this day without injury.
Earlier in the day, after we rented the bikes, we had a few hours to spare so we headed back to the condo. Alex proceeded to ride down the hill to the main rode, clocked at 30 miles an hour as I followed in the car. He will have to explain the ride back up the mountain another time. It was not with the assistance of the vehicle. While he continued to goof around with the bike, I headed over to a local hike to a place called Balance Rock. It was quite interesting because basically, it was a boulder, the size of a small house, balanced on an area no larger than 5-10 square feet. The rock ended up in this position when the glaciers that once covered this area melted and left this for us to see. It was unfortunate that this cool natural feature has been vandalized by ignorant people spray painting various things on the rock face.
All the same, it was a neat thing to see. Tomorrow, we are off to learn to kayak rapids in the Deerfield river.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



16th July 2015

You guys appear to be having a great time! Mountain biking is something I've always wanted to do! Have fun!
17th July 2015

How cool, a new way way to fall off the ski lift, with a bike lol. Looks like fun. Pictures are great!! Miss you both. Love,Mom/ Nana

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb