More than a feeling...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
October 9th 2007
Published: June 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Boston. Old School. Boston. Old School. Boston. Old School.

Banksy would be proud
Another laid back city, a very wealthy city, but not so that you'd notice - outward reflections of wealth are frowned upon in Boston apparently - a very specific Bostonian cultural oddity.... There is a lot of history associated with this city re: the birth of ‘America’ - the original patriots originated from this area. So it was very interesting walking around the city. I liked boston quite a bit, all things considered (definitely the coldest and wettest stop on our trip - but it was also the furthest north that we travelled)

We also managed to pop up to Harvard for a morning. Saz now feels very smart as the owner of a Harvard sweater. The campus, loosely defined, is less the traditional self contained university campus and more akin to a small town, a more 'adult' approach perhaps....?

The sporting odyssey concluded with at trip to Foxborough to watch the New England Patriots host the Cleveland Browns in an NFL game. Great spectacle, lots of hype, fanfare and all that but couldn’t shake a sort of ‘sterile’ feeling to it all. Whereas the college game had the spontaneity of the college kids, the ice hockey an amped up area and the baseball the timeless appeal of ‘America’s past-time’ the NFL just seemed sanitised big business entertainment.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Our DuckOur Duck
Our Duck

"DUCK" is a W.W.II style amphibious landing vehicle, now used for embarrassing tourist transport, complete with a tour guide who will holler 'quack' at random pedestrians
The Old State HouseThe Old State House
The Old State House

The balcony from which the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence in Boston took place.
And New Kids On The BlockAnd New Kids On The Block
And New Kids On The Block

Or NKOTB to fans from the 80's/90's


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb