New York, New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
October 6th 2007
Published: June 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sarah's Thoughts:

NYC was in a heatwave and it was over 35 degrees everyday! The apartment we stayed in was fantastic, one block away from times square, so right in the thick of things - we got broadway discount tickets to Phantom of the Opera (which Adam loved) and Avenue Q (a crazy show with people and muppets, that Adam made me leave halfway through before he killed someone).

We did all the touristy things that Adam wanted to see, and then I lined up 1 hour for magnolia bakery cupcakes (yes Adam thought I was insane) which were at the top of my NYC list of things to do. Yes, that's just how good those cupcakes are.

Adam's Thoughts:

Not sure how I feel really. Yeah, it's the city that never sleeps, thousands of people wandering the streets at all hours but not as 'fast' or 'rude' or 'busy' or 'expensive' as I'd been pre-conditioned (?) into believing it was, if that makes any sense? Probably not as much to see around the traps as I'd have thought either.... well, that's how it seemed at the time, probably the result of over-exposure - I’ve seen NY on TV so much over the years that some things were quite ho hum in real life.... eg Times Square - no so great.

Spent the friday and saturday just wandering around the streets - around soho, greenwich etc and central park - allowed a little more of the 'experience' of soaking up the city, the people, the way of life etc. Side effect of soaking up the city life - Saz did plenty of shopping, we even waited in line for an hour for cupcakes at a bakery made famous by sex & the city.... smile and wave boys, smile and wave....

One aspect of NY that did live up to expectation was Broadway - Phantom of the Opera on Broadway was a fantastic experience - absolutely awesome!
The sporting odyssey continued with a trip to Madison Square Garden to watch a Rangers ice hockey game - great live sport, hard and fast action and another great crowd atmosphere and definitely a highlight of our stay in NY.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb