Roadtrippin' the East Coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland
January 27th 2008
Published: January 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We hired a car from College Park and headed out from Boston on Tuesday afternoon. We picked up a discount motel guide and used it as our bible to determine each days' final destination. After falling foul to a lot of Interstate tolls, we finally caved and bought a road atlas to help us along the way.

By all reckoning the journey should have taken 8 hours total to get to Boston from DC, yet after a while it was obvious that it would take longer. We took the Interstate through Maryland, Virginia, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, New York, Conneticut and Massachusetts all in one day!

The New York city skyline was almost as impressive from the road as it is from in town. The traffic cutting through, however was a nightmare!

We arrived at our destination just outside of Boston on Wednesday night. We got up for our included breakfast, and after some handiwork, took some with us for an included lunch!

We trudged the freedom trail in the freezing cold, but took in the sights aided by our informative guide book, stopping to thaw out in coffee shops along the route. We made it all the
Stopping for grocerysStopping for grocerysStopping for grocerys

Allie now being a vegetarian had given us the challenge of finding vege friendly food on our road trip.. although we may have consued a few waitresses along the way, we have also been craving salad and stopped counting McDonalds along the highway when we got to a number over 100!
way to the end and caught a ferry back into town hoping to see the Boston Tea Party ship, only to discover it and it's museum had burned down during restoration work this summer passed.

The whole city had a vibrant and cultured feel. I am sure we could have spent longer there and not had a moments thought as to find something to do.

We detoured via Cape Cod on our way back, getting a very fine sprinkling of snow overnight. We ventured all the way to the tip of the cape to Provincetown, a MAJOR detour for a cappuccino! The lack of urbanisation reminded us of the parks and beaches on the west coast we visited only a year ago... only about 15oC colder!

After a marathon 14hour drive and a pretty lousy dinner we rested up in Hershey, home of Hershey's chocolate before making it on home in time to return our rental car with a fresh 1200 miles added to the clock.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb