TomTom's lost his marbles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland
August 26th 2007
Published: September 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today Jerry and I got a lesson about progress. It was Ikea day in our household, meaning a trip to Maryland through DC. Not normally frightening on the weekend, as you aren't fighting with the whole of the district for your few feet of space on the road. After finding a coveted parking spot in the Ikea lot, we headed into the insanity.

We had three main things on our list: bookshelf, shoe storage, hangers. We did manage to find the bookshelf that matches the one we already have, but when we headed off to find the nice shoe storage and hangers, they weren't there!! Well, I mean, there were other hangers and other shoe storages, but not mine. In a couple of months, they've gotten rid of those styles. CRAP! I figured out a solution, and ended up with two hanging shoe bags with a couple of drawers, and hangers of a different color.

Of course, we didn't just get those three things. We got green storage boxes, a cat bed, centerpiece stuff, and redecorated my entire bathroom. Yes, my clean white bathroom is about to go crazy and orange. Cool, huh? We also made it to Michael's (for sand and a paper trimmer) and PetSmart (for a cat carrier and kitty crack).

But finding our way to those last stores turned into a problem when TomTom started giving us very bad directions. I was amazed, because usually I'm the confused one, but this time TomTom was to blame. Sort of. There is a little construction going on, and the roads and bridges have all been changed. When we finally figured out where we were going, TomTom told us we were in the middle of the Potomac. Keep in mind they only moved the Woodrow Wilson bridge over about 25 feet. The poor GPS just kept telling us to go ahead, get out of the water, and take the next exit to get back on dry land. Well, not in so many words, but that was basically the instructions it seemed to imply.

Today's lesson: Change may be good, but progress it a witch. Whether it means you buy a different shoe bag or find yourself lost and apparently driving in the middle of the Potomac, sometimes it's easier to laugh and realize that keeping up with progress is darn near impossible.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb