Annapolis Octoberfest


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Annapolis
September 30th 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Spider SlideSpider SlideSpider Slide

The first thing that caught our eyes was this fantastic slide. Kids could run up it or pull themselves up on ropes and then slide down with delight on their faces! What fun.
On September 30, 2007 the community of West Annapolis held its annual Octoberfest. Yes, I know. It wasn’t October yet but who cared? It was close and the weather was absolutely, positively perfect (as long as a prolonged drought is your idea of perfect). The sun was shining and if you had even a tiny bit of shade it was cool and comfortable. The streets were roped off so no cars could drive through and they were lined with games for children, beautiful art work by local arts and craft persons and yummy foods for those who came to spend a long time wandering around the streets. Everyone seemed to be having a wonderful time. Friends were greeting each other and standing and chatting. People were selecting gifts for themselves and others from the beautiful things on display. At least one presidential hopeful had a booth but he lost my vote (even before I saw his name) with his poster declaring the right of the people to bear arms. That’s a tough motto with which to attract a pacifist.

It was great to wander down the streets, see people you haven’t seen for ages, notice cute couples with pretty babies,
Spider SlideSpider SlideSpider Slide

See this tiny girl? We have no idea how she got to the top but she did and what fun she looked like she was having as she slid down.
pet friendly dogs, eat German sausages and in general enjoy being part of a community having fun. We were surprised to see they had a genuine sounding German oompha band playing too and folks dressed in rural German style clothing. What fun!

We tried to get pictures of lots of things to show you but now I realize we missed so many things that I loved like the the great ideas with buttons and beads that a local shop in West Annapolis sells, really attractive items of hand made clothing, antiques that would be great for someone decorating a new home and on and on. What a good group of artists there were there today. Also we didn't buy anything but that sausage! I really should have done some Christmas shopping but I picked up brochures and cards and know where some of these artists sell their lovely things all year around!

Local charities had good booths; the local elementary school on the street used this as a fun time for children and a fund raiser for the school; several businesses had displays of home improvement ideas or other things to get you interested in spending a little
ChildrenChildrenChildren

Kids here, kids there, kids having fun everywhere.
money not only today but in the near future. It was a real community day of good times and good chances to see other Annapolitans outside on a sunny, cool, early autumn, almost October day. It was also the opening salvo of the celebration next year of the 300th anniversary of the charter of the city of Annapolis. Many more good parties and celebrations are just around the corner for our community in the rest of 2007 and all of the year 2008. Hurrah for living in a rather small town with people who enjoy celebrating together.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Painting PumpkinsPainting Pumpkins
Painting Pumpkins

I really, really wanted to paint one of these but they were so incredibly messy! I laughed as the parents tried to carry them down the street hoping they would dry before they 'decorated' their clothes.
Coast Guard boatCoast Guard boat
Coast Guard boat

Annapolis and boats=two words with the same meaning. This one was for kids to climb on and pretend to be in the Coast Guard. Very popular.
Marshmallow ShooterMarshmallow Shooter
Marshmallow Shooter

A local doctor tried to explain a marshmallow to someone with her. It must have been someone from another country who didn't know what a marshmallow was. She had the most interesting expression on her face obviously wondering why someone would want to shoot something made of sugar and fluffy 'stuff' at anyone.
Hmmmmm goodHmmmmm good
Hmmmmm good

I have a real vegetarian streak but at an Octoberfest I had to try a German sausage (well half of one since Bill helped eat it.)
Sausage with red cabbageSausage with red cabbage
Sausage with red cabbage

Oh, yes. I ate the red cabbage first so we could get our mouths around the gigantic sausage!
Annapolis AliveAnnapolis Alive
Annapolis Alive

Here's our neighbor Debbie Rosen McKerrow working at the Annapolis Alive booth. See info on the next pix.
Annapolis AliveAnnapolis Alive
Annapolis Alive

In 2008 we celebrate the 300th anniversary of the signing of Annapolis's Royal Charter. Today was the inaugural event of the celebration with the Queen Anne Ball tonight. .
Annapolis AliveAnnapolis Alive
Annapolis Alive

Nov. 9-10 the Annapolis Symphony Orchestra will premier part one of a 3 part composition written for this year's events. The biggest celebration THIS year will be Dec. 31st First Night Annapolis party.
Annapolis AliveAnnapolis Alive
Annapolis Alive

For info on the entire year's celebrations (a good reason to visit Annapolis this coming year) go to www.annapolisalive.com and see the upcoming events. They will be GRAND
Beer TruckBeer Truck
Beer Truck

Now what is that I see in the background?
Beer TruckBeer Truck
Beer Truck

Of course, it's the beverage without which there is NO Octoberfest!
Ceramics boothCeramics booth
Ceramics booth

What is a fair or a fest without local artists and their wonderful creations? I can see one of these on my sister Doris's back yard fence! Lovely ceramic lanterns.
GlasswareGlassware
Glassware

Beautiful glass to buy.
GlasswareGlassware
Glassware

I'd love a place setting but at about $65.00 a plate I'm afraid I'd kill someone who broke one at dinner.
HandbagsHandbags
Handbags

Great idea for your old jeans. Clever craftsperson!
Polish PotteryPolish Pottery
Polish Pottery

Everytime we see this lovely Polish pottery we want to hit ourselves on the head that we didn't collect any while working in Eastern Europe!!!!
Tie Dyed ShirtsTie Dyed Shirts
Tie Dyed Shirts

They even had something for old (and young) hippies.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb