Back in the US again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
October 11th 2017
Published: October 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our path into and out of Maine


A Nova Scotia BywayA Nova Scotia BywayA Nova Scotia Byway

On our way from Halifax to Yarmouth we took a short back road detour to explore the fall colors. This is that road. Not much around but trees.
Well, we're back in the good ole USA, landing in Portland, Maine, last Friday, October 6. We came in on the ferry to Portland early Friday afternoon, then drove north to visit Bangor for 2 days. From Bangor, we drove down to Augusta for one night, then continued back to Portland (actually Freeport, just north of Portland) for 3 nights/2 days. Maine is an absolutely gorgeous place, both the interior areas with the mix of deciduous and coniferous trees, as well as the areas along the coastline. Interior are also lots of lakes and rivers, making water a key element of the geography.

In Bangor, we found several antique stores and a good brewpub, and took a side trip over toward Bar Harbor on the coast, also very near Acadia National Park. We've been to both before, so stopped short in Ellsworth and shopped. It was a Saturday, so traffic was really heavy going east to the park and Bar Harbor, including a number of tour buses. And, of course, the colors have started to turn, so the leaf peepers were out as well.

We only stayed one night in Augusta and spent most of the time nosing around
Roof Hound Brew PubRoof Hound Brew PubRoof Hound Brew Pub

On our way to the ferry terminal in Yarmouth, we stopped here for lunch. It was a really neat brew pub, great food and beer, but was about 10 miles off the main highway, so a little out of the way. They just celebrated their 1st Anniversary in August, hope they make it to their second.
the city - the usual stuff like antique stores and brew pubs.

We stayed our last 3 nights in Maine in Freeport, home to LL Bean Company. We stopped at their big store located right in the heart of downtown Freeport and nosed around. Reminds me of a yuppy level Cabela's. Drove south of Portland along the coast and found a really neat brew pub in Saco, located about 15 miles south, called Run of the Mill Brewery, built in an old mill building located on an island in the river.

Today we left Maine, traveled through the coastal corner of New Hampshire, then about half way across the state of Massachusetts to Springfield. Tomorrow we head west/southwest through the northwest corner of Connecticut, then into Pennsylvania west. Hope to make Ohio on Friday.

More from Ohio.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Early morning at the Yarmouth Ferry DockEarly morning at the Yarmouth Ferry Dock
Early morning at the Yarmouth Ferry Dock

Our ferry left Yarmouth at 8:30 a.m. and we needed to be at the terminal 1 hour before sail time, so we needed to be up before light and on our way to the terminal. Caught a light fog over the bay.
At the mouth of the Bay of FundyAt the mouth of the Bay of Fundy
At the mouth of the Bay of Fundy

The Bay of Fundy is the water body that experiences the really large swings in the tides, as much as 59 feet at the far end of the bay. This is a view from the top deck of the ferry as we were gearing up to depart. You can see the exposed bay bottom from the out tide.
Welcome to the USWelcome to the US
Welcome to the US

About half way across the ferry run, we were buzzed by this USAF plane which appears to be a radar/sonar plane. I assume that they check all of the incoming sea traffic to make sure we are where we're supposed to be.
Entering the harbor at Portland, MaineEntering the harbor at Portland, Maine
Entering the harbor at Portland, Maine

One of the several boats out and about on the water as we entered the Portland, Maine harbor.
Train Crew climbing aboardTrain Crew climbing aboard
Train Crew climbing aboard

This is the only train I've come across close up this whole trip. The crew was just climbing on board apparently after switching out a string of high cube boxcars and tank cars from the adjacent paper mill.
Run of the Mill Brew Pub in Saco, MaineRun of the Mill Brew Pub in Saco, Maine
Run of the Mill Brew Pub in Saco, Maine

This is the outdoor patio view from the brew pub where we had lunch. The day was the first really overcast, rainy day we've had since about British Columbia, but was still a good day to be out and around.
Typical New England Commercial BuildingsTypical New England Commercial Buildings
Typical New England Commercial Buildings

There are so many brick buildings all around New England, both commercial and industrial, as well as residential. These are just a typical representation.
Lawrence, MassachusettsLawrence, Massachusetts
Lawrence, Massachusetts

We stopped at an antique shop that was located in one building of several that were originally a textile mill complex. This building was the one next door to the one were were in.
Sea Dog2 - PortlandSea Dog2 - Portland
Sea Dog2 - Portland

One of the brew pubs we ate at was the Sea Dog Brew Pub, located on the Portland waterfront. They had enough lagers and wheats that I actually shared a taster tray with Sheryl and her selections of IPA.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb