Oh this beautiful coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Belfast
October 25th 2012
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.4258, -69.0069

We had a great breakfast on the terrace/veranda of our Jonesport B&B and chatted with our hosts (New Yorkers), the place is for sale because their age is against them.....very tempting.This was the best B&B ever and on this brilliant sunny day, when we woke watched the sun rise while lying n bed in the spacius attic, through the panorama windows I { Liz} could move here tomorrow. But i'm told that winters are long and summers short and other than fantastic scenery everything is miles away. Cloudless blue skies certainly make the trip, even if the wind was a little chilly.
Then the brother of the 'landlady' gave us a tour of the ground floor of the next door house which the Jonesport Historical Society are developing as their museum/meeting place. Much of it left just as it had been long ago as customs house, bank, general store.
Then we drove across a bridge an island and a causeway to reach Great Wass Island Preserve looking for a walk but as they all seemed to be through pine forest to the sea, instead of by the sea, we gave up on that and headed out to Mt Desert Island, Bar Harbour and Acadia National Park - a gift from the Rockefellers and other wealthy folks to the nation. Once the most visited National Park in the USA it consists of a 22 mile loop road with turn offs to walking trails and a road to the top of Cadillac Mountain.
So we did the mountain for the views, then drove to Sand Beach for what looked like a gentle walk round adjoining Schooner Head but which turned into a scramble up and down lots of big stony boulders, but the views were excellent. As we go south the weather is getting warmer but we also had some glorious sunshine.
Then on to Belfast, which we reached after dark, for our night at the Harbor Inn - not as special as the previous two nights B&Bs (really more of a Motel but with a great view of the Harbour - maybe that's why they called it the Harbor Inn) but quite adequate. Restaurant across the way where I {Peter} indulged in lobster, again!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb