Northeast USA & Canada 2022


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Bar Harbor
September 12th 2022
Published: September 18th 2022
Edit Blog Post


Snack at Von Trapp Lodge
After a great breakfast, a lot of shopping, and a goodbye to the Cooley cows, we left Stowe and the Von Trapp Family Lodge. I hope I make it back for a longer visit!! Out goal today was Bar Harbor, Maine. We planned to spend the night and visit Acadia National Park.

What I love about traveling is the drive. There’s so much of this country to see and much of it is so beautiful! It’s difficult to take pictures out the car window but occasionally I get a good one. Sometimes I tell “Stop, Stop, STOP!” and Terry stops! I even take pictures through the rainy windows!

Today was another day of looking for wildlife…I wanted to see a moose!!! We were also looking for fall colors. We were just a little early for the trees/leaves but we kept hoping!! We learned, as we talked to locals, that the leaves seemed to be a little late this year.

As we are driving, we notice the farms, hay fields, rivers, lakes, streams, churches, beautiful homes, forgotten homes, flowers, state lines and places that seem worthy of a detour. One such place was Mt. Washington, New Hampshire.

Mt
Washington is the tallest peak east of the Mississippi. It has also clocked the faster wind speed of 231 miles per hour (Aprin 12 1934) and maintained that record until 1996 when an unmanned instrument station in Barrow Island, Australia recorded a new record of 253 miles per hour, but that was during a cyclone. You can get to the top of Mt Washington by hiking, driving, taking a tour van , or riding the cog railway. Sadly, it was rainy and very foggy. While we were there you couldn’t see the top of the mountain, nor could you see anything from the top. So we stopped at the visitors center, the gift shop and enjoyed our picnic lunch. We had to get back on the road because there were still 4 hours between us and Bar Harbor, Maine.

We arrived at our motel for the night, checked in, and unloaded the suburban. We found a restaurant nearby, Jack Russell’s Steak House, where we had a great dinner. We drove around the town, which was very busy, then headed back to the motel. Nite all!



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Sunrise


Lounge


Lodge


Long live the Queen


Farm


Lake


Mountains
..
.

Covered Bridge


River


Covered bridge


My Washington in fog


My Washington Visitors Center


My Washington Visitors Center


Maine


Paul Bunyan


On the road


Bar Harbor


Tot: 0.384s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1007s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb