Greetings from Bar Harbor


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Bangor
June 11th 2007
Published: June 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Acadia/Bar Harbor on Saturday and got settled in at the campground. Beautiful area. Haven't downloaded pictures onto computer yet, but will send photos when we do. We are staying in a National Park Campground so no services, but located at the very tip of the island. Our camping spot is less than 1/2 mile from the ocean shoreline. Very few campers out this early - only 3 other campers in the park we are in. Things aren't as primitive as it sounds since we do have propane and battery so we have water, cooking, etc.

We made an overnight stop in Freeport, ME before coming here and boy was it cold. So cold we spent a morning shopping at the LL Bean Flagship store for warmer clothing. Since then it has warmed up. I knew buying the items would decrease the likelihood of needing them.

The area we are in now is very wooded and has lots of bugs - mosquitos! Fortunately we have bug spray and since David packed the screened cabana we were able to sit outside all yesterday afternoon and evening and watch the bugs outside the screen. Earlier in the day yesterday we bicycled 8 miles over hill and dale (mostly hill) to a tiny town, Bernard, on the coast where we were told was a great seafood restaurant. However, when we got there we didn't want a heavy meal since we needed to bike 8 miles back to camp so just had crab and corn chowder which was very good. We plan to have lobster later today. in Bar Harbor. Also plan to hike today on one of the many trails on the island.

We have been surprised at the amount of development on the island. We thought most of the island was national park; only a small part is. Most of the island is commercial development. Fortunately it isn't too extensive and with all the trees not as noticable as it could be. We will stay here several more days to do more biking, hiking and possibly kayaking. We got here at a great time - late enough in the spring for reasonable weather (although supposed to have some showers over next several days) and early enough to beat the tourist crush which seems to start late in June. Will keep you posted on activities. When we leave here we are headed to Canada. Barb

Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb